Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Spinach Smoothie


Andy is a consistent consumer. His food likes are peanut butter sandwich, chocolate milk, chicken nuggets, carrots, oatmeal, mini-wheats, corn on the cob, and cheese. Since I've become more informed on eating choices, I've pushed spinach leaves a few times. I called them dinosaur leaves and served them with Ranch dressing. He fell for it once, eating two leaves. He never fell for it again.
One morning I was making a protein smoothie. I use vanilla whey protein from Costco, rice milk, spinach, flax seeds, and a banana. Tasty! You can't taste the spinach. Andy saw me and asked for a smoothie. I'm not keen on giving a child protein supplements so I filled the blender with all the same ingrediants minus most of the protein powder and plus more of the spinach. It looked as green as grass. Andy said, "is it St. Patrick's Day?" I told him no. He began sipping and said, "good." Then he informed me that green is his favorite color.

I watched him sip down more phytonutrients than he's ever had. I wondered if his body might go into healthy shock. I felt as much glee tricking Andy into spinach as I felt the day I got my engagement ring.

2 comments:

Jen and her men said...

i love the analogy. what are you blending it with? i've been wanting to make some of those spinach smoothies myself, but my blender isn't cutting it. ha!ha!

KellyDiane said...

hahah that's so funny. What a smart way to get him to eat healthier! I laughed at the dinasour leaves, nice try!