Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Was it Fun if Everyone Leaves Crying?

Today's destination was Fairytale Land. It's a huge park in Sacramento with fairy tale themed slides and play areas.

I thought a picnic along with the visit would be fun. The weather was lovely and the kids cheery. The four of us piled into the van and set out for Subway for picnic food. Everything was lovely until we went inside for sandwiches. Since Nicky and Andy have acted so wretched in public lately, I've taken to avoidance. I go to stores late at night alone or not at all. I've even had the thought that food storage might be meant for a home bound mother like myself. Anyhow, avoidance is not helping their behavior. Whilst I was telling the employee to put mustard on Andy's sandwich but no condiments on Nicky's, I heard multiple chip bags crunching and some popping open. I quickly tried to re-stock the 10 bags of chips the kids had pulled down while the employee looked annoyed. Next, Nicky screamed that she didn't want water on the picnic, she wanted pink lemonade. She continued to scream while the guy rang up the bottle of Dasani and sandwiches. As we left, I just felt angry. Why are my kids suddenly acting worse in public than they've ever acted before?

We made the 40 minute drive to the park downtown. It was a breezy, perfect, sunny day. I felt my anger and dismay with the kids melt away as we sat beneath a huge oak tree on a blanket. The kids were smiling and excited about their sandwiches, Cheetos, squirrels, and other children. They blew dandelion fluff and climbed trees. I loved being outside with them. They are such happy, free-spirited little souls.

Then we went inside Fairytale Land. Andy was so excited with everything, he kept running really far ahead. He was so far ahead many times I had to yell for him. I know I'm yelling when everyone in the park stops to look. Unfortunately, Andy wasn't one of them. I felt myself getting flustered because I don't like to yell and I don't like to worry that Andy is going to to be lost or run into Chester P. Molester in the bushes. It's hard to chase him when there are two other kids to watch. So I caught up with him and told him we'd be going back to the van if he didn't stay with me and stop running off. I love myself when I threaten too.
All was good until, on the way to see the pirate edifice, Andy took a detour across the little river and back behind the employee trailers. I couldn't see him and had to leave Nicky in charge of Christian. I decided it was time to stick up for myself. I picked him up and we all left the park. Andy is a sensitive soul, so the abruptness was traumatic. He freaked out. Nicky cried, and rightly so since she did nothing wrong. So there I was with the two louds crying all the way back to the van. Andy cried most of the 40 minutes back home.

To my credit, I kept my patience this time. I'm glad I left even though it was sad to only stay for two hours and I'd paid admission. I don't know what's with these two. I hope abrupt actions speak louder than my annoying yelling. I'm tired of telling them to listen, stop, come back, etc. What have we done wrong to create such behavior from otherwise, good little children. I feel a little depressed. I wanted to do something so fun with them today to make a beautiful memory. It was not all bad of course. I'll just remember their smiles on the slides and at the picnic. I hope it was still fun even though they both left crying.

Oh, and to make me glad we didn't nap the baby today, Christian cried for three hours on and off to get to sleep. Poor overtired baby!

2 comments:

SuburbiaMom said...

Sorry for such a crummy experience. I am also leery of taking my kids to public places--and they are older and should know better!!!

KellyDiane said...

hope you are having a better day with them today, that kind of day would make me exhausted!