A day after the animals moved on to their next location, I took the kids on a walk on the bike trail that borders the preserve and the park. As we walked I heard a loud and panicked bleating coming from the middle of the preserve. I immediately knew it was a baby lamb left behind. I had three kids with me and I didn’t feel like traipsing through the preserve. I wondered if the baby lamb would be poopy, broken up, flea-ish. What would I do with it if I found it? It stopped bleating so I talked myself into believing it had just been a loud bird. Deep inside I knew it wasn’t. I walked on. On our way back, I noticed a young man jumping the fence behind his house and coming down the hill into the preserve. He found the baby lamb and I watched as he carried it home.
Again, I thought of the Savior and one of my favorite scriptures about left behind sheep. Luke 15:4-5 “What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.”
They’ve had many a lesson at church lately on rescuing the lost. They apply it to missionary work and re-activating the less active. I wonder how many times I talk myself out of rescuing because I’m busy or scared of the consequences. How often do I leave it to someone else to come along and take care of what should have been my rescue?
I loved Elder Uchtdorf’s talk last conference on the statue of Christ with the missing hands. I want to re-commit to being His hands. Next time one of his lambs is in trouble, I’m going to get dirty and make a rescue.
1 comment:
great post Missy. I too loved the talk by Elder Uchtdorf.
Post a Comment