As mentioned, Christian had 104 degree fevers last week. The pediatrician had me go to the ER on Saturday to do some tests. Since Jeff was with the scouts, I had to get a babysitter for Nicky and Andy. I waited three hours in a busy waiting room to see someone. The pediatrician had called the ER and ordered a chest x-ray, urine test, and blood test. However, when the ER doctor saw Christian, she said he looked great and she didn't recommend getting the tests done. Christian was smiling at her as she said, "it's probably just a virus." There were no fevers over the weekend. Christian was not himself but I just figured he was getting better.
Yesterday the poor guy heated right up again but this time he kept sleeping in my arms and wouldn't wake up. He was pale and his eyes were half open and kept rolling back. So I got to take him to the American Fork Hospital emergency room to finally have the tests done. This time he must have looked scary because I didn't wait at all. In fact, once in the room the doctor appeared before the nurse finished her notes. When does that happen? There were no other symptoms other than the fever so the doctor thought the most likely thing was a urinary tract infection. Still they did a chest x-ray anyway. I've never had a baby chest x-rayed before. It's a funny thing. They had him sit in a little seat and had me hold his arms straight up while they positioned a plastic tube around him. They said most babies cry but Christian just hung out sucking his green binky.
Next he got poked three times in attempts to find a vein for an IV. This was not fun especially the second attempt which was a try at a vein in his head.
The doctor was surprised to tell me Christian has pneumonia. So he got a round of IV antibiotics and his oral antibiotics will start today. None of my other kids have had such a thing so it's a bit scary. I hope he improves quickly. I'm perturbed with the hospital back home. I don't recommend two ER visits in one week, especially when you're supposed to be vacationing. Things could be worse. A lady in the next room at the ER was sick with diarrhea, vomiting, and a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. Just wondering how you stop a nosebleed when you're throwing up? Yuck!
5 comments:
I am so sorry!! Kids get sick at the worst time. I had to take Beau to an after hours clinic down there during my family Christmas Eve dinner. Hope Christian is feeling better and you can enjoy the rest of your vacation!
I hope the antibiotics kick in quickly and Christian will be feeling better soon. I had one baby that had to have a chest x-ray for the same thing. She screamed through the entire thing!!
Oh how scary! I hope he gets feeling better soon. I think you are extremely brave and a great mother.
I hope he (and the rest of you!) get feeling better soon. Where is the adorable picture of him with his arms up!? That is my all time favorite!!!
So, seeing you yesterday made me realize I haven't seen your blog in a while. For some reason, it is not updating on my bloglines. I've added it again, but it's still not updating. I'll have to put you on my private list, but that means I won't check it as often. (Not that I've been checking ANY that often lately!)
ANYwho, SO sorry about the pneumonia! I hate sick kids ANYtime, but on a trip is the worst.
Post a Comment