Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Southwesting it to Utah

It's been almost a year since Nicky and Andy have used the airport and airplane for travel. Their enthusiasm was not containable yesterday as we packed our things and prepared for our journey to Utah. Most people assumed we'd be driving to Utah as that seems to be the protocol when you have three or more kids. We're lucky in that Jeff travels so he accumulates free Southwest tickets.

However, as we loaded and then unloaded at the airport two boosters, a car seat, pack n' play, three suitcases, etc. I wondered if it really is much easier to fly. Christian had a week of 104 fevers last week that left him cranky. So I suppose it was better in the long run not to strap him down for 12 or more hours.

Nicky and Andy were instructed to pack their Dora and Thomas the Train backpacks with little toys to keep them occupied on the flight. I didn't have time to follow up so at the airport I found Nicky had followed instructions but Andy had loaded his backpack full of tracks and trains from his train table. He said it was so he could set up trains at Uncle Gregg's. He looked so funny running around the airport with his heavy backpack loaded with trains and accessories.

The flight was not too bad. Jeff entertained whiny Christian. Andy drank tons of Sprite and then slept on my lap the rest of the flights. Nicky's trip was eventful. While eating the Southwest pretzels her second loose tooth broke free. I used drink napkins to try to get it out but this time it was tightly attached on the front gum. There was much bleeding. Finally it was finagled free but we had to get some wipes from the attendant to clean up the blood. (Yum! Think of someone losing their tooth in your seat the next time you fly!) Nicky was so excited she told all the strangers seated near us, the flight attendant, and later the rental car lady about how she lost a tooth in the airplane.

Finally, the last funny story occurred as we were driving from the airport to my brother's house. Since it is the first real visit to Utah since my dad died, I kept thinking of him and finally burst into tears. Nicky asked from the backseat why I was crying and I said I was sad because I missed my dad. She's yelled up, "well think of your mom then! You still have her. Think of the good times with your mom." That bit of advice struck Jeff and I so funny that we just laughed and the tears dried right up.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love Nicky! What a sweet girl. Enjoy your trip to Utah. We are headed back up that way on Friday. It doesn't seem real that a week ago tomorrow we dropped Alex off at the MTC. I've been working on that blog for two days now. I need to get it done!

Jen and her men said...

From the mouth of babes :) good advice! Yeah for Utah! Hope to see you!!

Skinner Family said...

Have a great time!! I wish we could join you for the Round Up, mabe next year. Good luck flying home again :)

Cami said...

What a cutie. That is good advice. :) I wonder about plane vs. car travel too, but I always opt for plane. Even a few hours saved is good enough for me with kids!