Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Daring Travel

Now I will document the trip that almost didn't happen for me or the boys. Jeff's Dad was joining us on this trip to Palmyra, the Hill Cumorah Pageant, Niagara Falls, and Toronto. We'd planned it for months. Then the Utah trip happened with all its miserable maladies and put me in a sour mood for traveling. Upon return from that trip I tried to talk Jeff out of this trip. I tempted him with ideas for short jaunts to San Diego and such but to no avail. So we continued with planning. The day before the trip Jeff's dad drove up from the Bay Area and all seemed well...until Christian didn't sleep all night because of a new cold and fever. I knew he had an ear infection. I cried all morning and decided I'd stay home with Andy and Christian because Andy was sure to pick up the sickness too and he's antibiotic resistant these days. Then I decided we'd go but I wanted to fit Christian in with a doctor's appointment before we left. I called and found out he's vacationing for the month of July. I was instructed to go the urgent care. I decided if I was just going to stay home and go to urgent cares I might as well go to New York and go to urgent cares. So that is what was done. Now for some pictures in no good order because I don't have time to order them nicely. This picture makes me laugh because Jeff and my 8th anniversary occurred during the trip. Nothing like kids in the bed to get one in the romantic mood.

Wearing ponchos so as to keep dry when the Maid of the Mist took us next to Niagara Falls. These plastic get ups are not baby safe. Christian made every attempt to swallow his or the one worn by whoever was holding him. Niagara Falls is breathtaking in its volumes of falling water. I loved the drowning out of sound, the crashing of water, and the soaking. All so fun.



A surprised baby in his plastic. He got soaked.

Grandpa with his little friends in the Sacred Grove. Grandpa was trooper on the trip. He was so patient with the kids and their 15 minute potty breaks every two hours.

A family shot. I loved the Sacred Grove but was wishing it was an early Spring morning rather than a sultry summer afternoon. I also wished my underthings weren't made of dry silk as it felt like I was wrapped in saran wrap in the humidity.

Still there was a beautiful spirit in the grove and we endured the heat for the feeling and the cute pictures.


Flying made easy. Everyone remarked how good our kids were on the airplane. We come prepared. There is no chance to act up.

Toronto was ok. I may put on pictures later. Canada sort of feels like a different country but not really. I'd keep forgetting I wasn't in the U.S. until I saw a sign that said "Centre" instead of "Center" or I went for the bathroom and found a "washroom" instead. Also people say, "sorey" instead of "sorry." Canada is also a bit expensive but fun. Jeff tells me Niagara Falls is better viewed from the Canada side.
The Hill Cumorah pageant was more interesting to the kids than I thought. Their eyes were glued to the stage the whole time. They had a very real looking part where Jesus descended from Heaven and joined the Nephites. The children gathered round Jesus. Andy thought it was real. He kept whispering something. I bent my head down and I heard him ask very shyly, "when is it my turn to go up?" So sweet. I'm glad to know his hatred of church has more to do with sitting and less to do with his love for Jesus.
As far as sicknesses, Christian did have an ear infection but that ended up being the extent of complications. There were some nights of the nebulizer for both boys but luckily nothing emergency room worthy. Thank goodness for a little luck and a lot of prayers. I may try travel again someday but not any time soon.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Despite the ear infection it sounds like a wonderful trip :) I'm so happy you went.

KellyDiane said...

Always love the pictures! So cute of Nicky on the plane. Glad you guys had a good trip!!! Cant wait to see you all next week!!!

Amber said...

You guys are either daring or nuts! Those kids are quite the travelers. I want to take the kids to all the church history sites for Jordan's "graduation trip last hurrah before the mission". My plan was to go then because everyone would be old enough to not be too annoying, but alas little Brady is here now so we will still have a toddler! Anyway, that looks awesome--I can't wait to go! Also, thank you for the thoughtful and loving email you sent the other day. I've been meaning to respond, but I have been more out of it lately than usual. I wanted you to know that I appreciated it though. You are a sweetheart.