Thursday, July 8, 2010

Timely Ensign Article

The first article in the July Ensign is, "Faithful Friends" by President Eyring. I'm amazed at how Ensign messages always correlate with current events in my life. I've had friends on my mind and how timely for this article to appear. Elder Eyring suggests I remember the type of friend Christ is and become like Him. If Jesus considers me his friend he is always a selfless friend. He's happy when I'm happy and sad when I'm sad. He isn't looking for anything for himself; he wants the best for me.

Elder Eyring continues his article by asking readers to reach out to others and as we persist, "we will more and more be given the gift of feeling His love for them. That will give us courage and strength to reach out again and again in faithfulness."

I often think of the character trait I most want my children to develop. That trait is kindness and love toward others. I want to have that trait myself. I love my family and friends of course. What would it be like to see and love others like the Savior? There's been a couple of people in my life who I admired because they never said an unkind thing about anyone. I want to be more like that too. So in my quest to make friends, I think I'll take Elder Eyring's advice and be a good friend; I'll even reach out to those who initially seem too different to be my friend. I guess we'll see how it goes. How wonderful to be genuinely kind and full of love. How I'd love to see with changed and humbled eyes. I hope I get there someday.

1 comment:

Cami said...

Good friends are definitely important, and it's hard to be one. I think Christlike love is a worthy goal indeed.