Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Looming Kindergarten

I post this picture from April because Nicky looks schoolish and apparently ready for Kindergarten in less than three weeks. She's nervous because she hasn't met the teacher and she won't know the kids in the class. (As close as the first day is, the school still hasn't informed us of their plans as far as morning/afternoon and teacher/child placement.) She's troubled about going every day. Otherwise she's excited about a new backpack, clothes, and growing up.

I'm not doing as well. I break into tears when I think of that first day and all its implications. Nicky's not a baby, toddler, or little preschooler anymore. She's entering that big kid phase. I'll still influence her but there will be many others influencing her too. It took me three months to lose eight pounds and I gained it all back in less than a month. I feel like I need to be numbed emotionally. I've heard other moms talk about sending kids to Kindergarten and how it sucks. I guess I thought the day would be filled with wistful longing. I had no idea it would feel this painful to let my girl grow up and act happy about it for her sake.
It isn't fun to let go. This is literally yesterday. I had some major depressive days those first few weeks while I adjusted to being a mom. The days felt like they'd never end. I remember getting the distinct feeling to enjoy the baby because it would go by so fast. I couldn't fathom how at the time but now I can't believe it's all over.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know completely how you feel, having just gone through this. I think I cried every early morning feeding with Andrew in my arms at the thought of Dallin going to school and being gone all day. But now the day has come and gone and it wasn't terrible. I was all upset because before school started all we got was a 1 page letter from the school-that was it, on the beginning of school. But then Dallin's first day of school was an orientation with us there the whole time (they only met 2 hours), honestly I think it made it a lot easier for me the next day when I couldn't stay because I already knew the teacher and classroom. I feel bad admitting this, but I was so stressed about getting to school on time the first real day of school (the day he stayed behind) that I was in an onry mood. But then he had to line up and go into the classroom with out me. I saw some other kids cry and then I looked at him, so excited but timid looking to me to tell him it was okay, it was then that my eyes filled with tears. But I remembered that I had forgotten my sunglasses and quickly told Dallin to tell a story to his friend Kamryn so that he would stop looking at me with my eyes filled. And then he went in to class. I felt a little lost that first day, looking forward to pick up, but you know what when I picked him up he was happy and okay. It will be hard, but it is so exciting at the same time. She (and you) will do great!!! (Wear your sunglasses that is a trick my sis in law told me-wear your sunglasses than they can't see your eyes!)

Skinner Family said...

She will do great!! After the first week, you will be so glad that she is in Kindergarten, you will have a little break plus she will have so much fun!! Good luck, I know I am counting down the days until Bailey goes back to school :)

Marie' said...

It feels like yesterday that I sent Jerome out to kindergarten for the first time. I felt just the same. It was hard for me when I was anticipating Jerome getting influenced in a bad way from other kids. Once school started, though, I realized how much of an influence Jerome had to others in the classroom. I felt a lot of comfort knowing what I had taught him has not only protected him from bad, but it benefitted others. It gave me great energy to keep doing what I was doing. Nikki will do great. I just know it.

Amber said...

It is going to be a rough day, I'm not going to lie. I thought Jordan was literally being torn from my arms. Then is was all over again when he started Jr. High and now again with High School. I hate that they grow up, but there are fun things about it. I just love my babies and can't imagine not having them around to kiss and snuggle. I guess that is why Brady came along, to prolong the inevitible just a bit...Good luck and give me a call if you need someone to cry to--I'll cry with you!

Kimberly said...

Brings back memories of Taylor startin Kindergarten. It's amazing how fast our babies grow up! She's gonna love it!

Cami said...

Oh man, I know about that. I had to let my little baby boys go on a bus when they were TWO! I drove behind it. I cried. It was hard. BABIES! Luckily I have my Jane at home for much much longer. It's hard to let them go.