I think I have tracked down the source of my recent semi-depression. It is not deaths of gorillas, a blogging cancer patient, or global warming. Although all are sad! No, I think it is the relentless whining, weeping, and wailing of my two year old. It’s also the fact that school is starting and it seems like everyone else is sending there kids off to school in beautiful new clothes and the thoughts of a few hours of peace. I’m left in the same situation as I have been all summer with my little cranky Nicky wearing not new clothes, but her beloved stained and faded “pretty” shirt. I know I should savor these beloved years before Nicky enters school and she is out of my constant watch forever, but some days it is hard. I’m not sure why she has been out of sorts for the last month. I finally got her “binky” use down to just sleepy time but now she cries for it all day, and I have to admit…I give in. (At some point the imagined expense of braces seems easier to handle.) We finally got Nicky going to nursery on her own and last Sunday she couldn’t even make it 15 minutes and I was sitting in there with her. Someone took a toy away from her and it set her off and it takes so little to set her off these days. Jeff has been off claims so he has been home all week in preparation for his new position. He is in shock at how much she crabs all day.
Today Jeff was going through the filing cabinet and came in laughing with a picture. It must have been taken when my Mom was at her wits end and didn’t know what else to do so she snapped a picture for posterity. It is a picture of me at two and it looks an awful lot like Nicky. Legend has it that at age two I threw horrible tantrums and single-handedly ruined a family vacation to Nauvoo. After experiencing some of this first hand, I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if some of my past behavior contributed to my mom’s current condition.
Today Jeff was going through the filing cabinet and came in laughing with a picture. It must have been taken when my Mom was at her wits end and didn’t know what else to do so she snapped a picture for posterity. It is a picture of me at two and it looks an awful lot like Nicky. Legend has it that at age two I threw horrible tantrums and single-handedly ruined a family vacation to Nauvoo. After experiencing some of this first hand, I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if some of my past behavior contributed to my mom’s current condition.
Jeff says it is all comeuppance and what goes around comes around. I guess he is right. But I will end with saying that there is nobody sweeter when Nicky is sweet. I love her spunk and energy and how she laughs and is a little naughty. I like how she twirls my hair in the morning and at night. I like when she is happy to see me when I come home. I wouldn’t want anyone else but my Nicky. I am so lucky to have her and I love her so much. Let’s just hope there is some kind of sojourn in the coming months. I would like to see my happy girl again.
4 comments:
I know how you feel. It can be very frustrating when everything that comes out of their mouths is accompanied by a whine or a tantrum. Good luck. She'll be back soon.
Nicky is a mirror image of you! Before you know it, you'll blink, and she'll be in kindergarten. I don't know if the whining and tantrums ever stop...they just get farther in between. I hope your days get better!
How funny that Jeff found that picture! Kids are a nightmare at that age, and some are worse than others, but luckily they are cute so they don't lose their life. Don't worry about being frustrated sometimes. For the most part you ARE enjoying their young years. We are only human you know!
Those are such classic pictures !! I love how Nicky has a tear rolling down her cheek(sp?). So sad.... Girl this is only the beginning. I have been told ever since Kalei was 6 months old that she will get better. And yah, now that she is 3 1/2 she has gotten better alright, at throwing tantrums that is !!! Welcome to motherhood I guess !! :)
Post a Comment