Friday, January 11, 2008

Dinner with a Stye

About once or twice a year I get an infection of my eyelid called a stye. Basically it is a big angry, pimple-like bubble on the eyelid that hurts and looks as disgusting as it feels. It's not contagious. There is really no medicinal remedy other than warm compresses and a few days time. Yesterday Jeff's cousin Shelly and her family were coming by for dinner and the stye was it its fiery worst. I wasn't able to wear makeup for obvious reasons and the pressure from the stye was causing my left eyelid to droop halfway over my eye.

I asked Jeff if he noticed how awful I looked and he said my eye looked fine. This causes me to suspect his honesty in other matters. For example, if I tell him I feel fat he always says, "I look good to him." Sweet, but wondering if that is just what he has to say. Anyway, I was sure that our guests might notice my eye but how would I bring it up? It's not really a conversation piece at dinner. "Hey, you might notice that my eye looks really nasty but don't worry, it isn't contagious. " I could wear an eye patch like the guy in "Days of Our Lives" but that would make things even more ridiculous and curious. (Why does that guy wear a patch anyway?) I decided to not mention anything. I'm sure this left the guests to wondering what in the heck was up with my eye.

Anyway, now if Shelly reads this blog she will be happy to know I didn't make her dinner with the pink eye or that Jeff didn't sock me. No, it is just a little stye in the eye. It was so nice to have Shelly's family visit and to see their cute little girls. We LOVE having family in town since we live so far from everyone.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny that you didn't say anything to them about the stye...I would have probably said something tacky like, "I promise I didn't rub my eye and stick it in the casserole".
But I bet the stye doesn't look as bad to Jeff because he has seen it everyday...I think it's kinda the same thing with minor weight gain. Those that see you all the time don't notice like those who see you less frequently...

Kimberly said...

Ouch! That sounds so painful. I've had pink eye before, but that sounds much worse! I can't believe you were able to hold back and not tell your guests what was wrong with your eye. I would have been too self-conscious not to say something. I hope it gets better soon!

Krustee said...

I've had styes and they are not fun! I hope it is gone now. they hurt!

Shelly said...

Hilarious. I didn't even notice, that's how observant I am! Clearly I was too stressed about making sure Ellie and Annie were behaving. Thanks again for dinner. It was so great to see you!