Thursday, February 28, 2008

Flowers Everywhere

I have a new friend, Karin that lives next door and has a little girl that is Nicky's age. Karin is so much fun and recently invited me to join her playgroup. I thought it would be nice to make some friends that are not in the church and so I joined up. My new friend Karin and I have talked a lot about preschools. So much of the conversation in the playgroup turns to preschools and the mothers compare and contrast the credentials of the schools and talk of waiting lists and other matters. When Karin found out it was our decision not to send Nicky this year, she gave me strict instructions not to tell the other women in the playgroup. Since Nicky goes to nursery on Sunday, she said to tell them that Nicky attends a preschool at church on Sundays otherwise I will be viewed as a granola lady. I have to laugh that I would be viewed as such for not sending Nicky to preschool when she is three. It's as if I have chosen to home school.

I don't have anything against preschool and I know that we will send Nicky the year before Kindergarten. I know it wouldn't hurt her and it may help in many areas if we did send her already. But it is really expensive here and we still haven't purchased a house yet. Plus I love hanging out with my gang. Today we went to Wild Animal Park and had a great time and a picnic. I love not having a schedule and I love spending time with these kids. I know that soon they won't be mine all day so I am savoring the little time I have left.





As we drove home today there were beautiful purple, orange, and yellow flowers growing randomly everywhere. It was gorgeous. I had to stop the car and take a picture. The picture doesn't do them justice but here is a little San Diego spring for everyone that reads this.

7 comments:

Cami said...

This is definitely your decision! I get all sorts of grief about putting my kids in TOO MUCH preschool, so I think you just can't win. But I hope you like your playgroup!

Shelly said...

Good for you for sticking to your plan. I've gotten grief for not signing Ellie up for preschool this fall when she will still only be 2. Come on folks; give me a break!

heather peck said...

You are a great mom, and you know what is best for you and your family, I think it is great that you WANT to spend so much time with your kids...you are a fabulous mother!

KellyDiane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KellyDiane said...

Cute pictures! I had a weird dream last night that I was babysitting (not andy or nicky) but another little girl that was yours. Hmmm, anything you'd like to announce. Haha, just kidding. My dreams have no psychic value. If they did, I'd already be married to a hot man, given birth to 10 kids, and have no legs (the latter is a very scary recurrent amputation dream I've been having!)

Krustee said...

when everyone expects me to do something it makes me not want to do it...isn't that mature? I probably have some developmental issues...I never attended preschool. You are such a fun mom always taking your kids places...I wouldn't want to be away from you if I were your kid! I LOVE all of the flowers everywhere...a perfect time to take a trip up the coast!

Kimberly said...

I love all the flowers too and Nicky's sunglasses...those are the cutest!