Tuesday, February 26, 2008

She Looks so Normal

Kelly and I thought it would be a good idea to meet up over the weekend in San Diego and have my mom fly out too. We both hadn’t seen her in a couple of months. Last time Mom came out here she did well. On a typical Mom journey, we have someone in Salt Lake take her directly to her gate at the airport and then Jeff or I pick her up at the gate when she arrives. It is the same procedure they use when a child travels.

It was not the happy weekend we anticipated. Mom is much further away now.
She is closer to Andy in terms of what she can do for herself and how well she can speak. There are a couple of funny/but not so funny moments. I saw she was going through my closet and then she pulled a couple of items out. There was a sweater she gave me a couple of years ago and a leather jacket that looks similar to something she has at home. She thought both of them were hers and had an accusing look in her eye like I had stolen them. So I let her put the jacket in her suitcase and when she went to the bathroom, I hung it back up in the coat closet.

On Sunday, with her limited vocabulary, she refused to go to church. Usually she is so easy going so I couldn’t figure out why she wouldn’t want to go. As I was getting her dressed she seemed more relaxed and I suddenly realized that she had thought we were going to make her go to church wearing her polka dot pajamas.

All through the weekend there was showing of my mom to the bathroom, showering her, blow drying her hair, helping her out of bed, brushing her teeth, etc. etc. One of the worst things is that she appears so normal and young that it makes it so much more frustrating that she is basically a baby in terms of what she can do for herself.

When she left yesterday I felt a mixture of terrible emotions. On the one hand I was sad she was leaving and on the other hand relieved (but terribly guilty to be so). This care giving for a mother is draining emotionally, frustrating, and sad and I only did it for three days. But I feel so guilty that I can’t do more as I know that she spent much of her life caring for me. I see that guilt is a big part of having a parent with Alzheimer’s.

It is all just so strange and horrifying. I look back and I remember how I used to view Alzheimer’s. I’m sure I had empathy and knew it was tragic. However, it is so eye opening now to have it in my family. I realize it is one thing to feel sad about someone’s situation and quite another to live through it. This whole experience makes me feel so humble towards other people’s trials and losses. I am sure they are so much harder on the inside and I see the only way to teach me that is to have experiences of my own that are not so nice.

9 comments:

Shelly said...

Melissa, you are so strong. I can't imagine how emotionally agonizing that must be for you and your family. Your mother is fortunate to have such a kind daughter.

Cami said...

What a sweet daughter you are. I have no idea what it's like to go through this, but you seem to be very kind and understanding and strong.

Kimberly said...

You are so amazing! I love how sensitive and kind you are toward your mom and how you are able to smile through it all!

heather peck said...

Missy, in regards to the last comment made here, that has motivated me to finally make my family blog private! What a sicko, anywho, glad you and your kids could spend some time with your mom, even though it sounds like it was exhausting, I have new appreciation for Greg!

Melissa said...

Oh well, comment deleted. I guess someday I should make things more private.

heather peck said...

Wow, look at you! I am glad you could delete that, you are quite computer savvy!

Krustee said...

Wow, I can't imagine all the emotions you must go through. I love that picture of Nicky with her Grandma. She does look so totally normal. You are a wonderful daughter!

Amber said...

It is such a terrible disease, and it is so hard to see her like that. That was nice of you to have her there for the weekend.

KellyDiane said...

It's weird how out of it she was in san diego but then yesterday I called her and she answered the phone, "Kelly!" she must have seen it on the caller i.d. but It's been so long since she's called me by name! This disease is truly awful!