Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Bestest of Friends

When I checked the calendar a few weeks ago I realized that my hubby was going to be leaving me soon for his two week training in LA. My only hope was that during his absent time I would be able to get some friends to meet me at the park to engage in adult conversation. However, I have two friends that really went above and beyond and blew me away with their kindness and consideration.

First off, when Kristen found out I would be alone she insisted I come over for dinner at her house even though her own husband was gone too. She made us a delicious dinner and made a separate dish of mac and cheese for our kids. The other night she sent me home with some yummy enchiladas that even the kids ate up. We did babysitting trades, had a trip to an Encinitas park, and had much fun talking and laughing over all kinds of things. Nicky loves the Bunker's backyard so much that it has sown the first seeds of jealousy within her. Today as we were walking around outside she sighed and said, "I wish we had a backyard."

When Kimberly found out I would be alone she extended an invitation to attend her Pilates class. This invitation was extremely valuable given my quest to rid myself of the muffin top. So off the kids went to the gym daycare whilst I got a little me time doing Pilates. I loved Kimberly's class. I can't believe she is able to do all those maneuvers and actually show other people how to do them too. She so full of personality and is able to get her class laughing while they punish themselves with things like "the plank" and other body contorters (is that a word?) Then to top it all off she invited me to her house for a delicious dinner and we had all kinds of fun talking and hanging out. I think she doesn't even hate me even though Nicky gauged at Blake's eyes and pulled his hair a few times.

Anyway, it is so precious to me to have such great friends. I really didn't expect such an outpouring but that is just the type of girls that they are. Their efforts made the time without Jeff seem so much shorter and made me feel so happy.

Lastly I would like to mention my very best friend. Jeff has been overloaded with homework and real work so that after his class is over at 5, he doesn't even have time for dinner or really much sleep. Even given those circumstances, he never rushes me off the phone when I talk to him at night. I miss him so much and can't wait for him to be around again in the house. It gets so darn quiet around here after 7.

Hopefully some bad person surfing the WWW won't discover this blog tonight and discover my aloneness and want to help me not to be lonely. I will have to pack some heat under the pillow and keep 911 on my speed dial.

*** Yes, Kelly you were a great friend too with all your calls and Christopher Reeve impersonations. Thanks for the laugh about the panties in the pocket. It made my night. I love that you have a new boyfriend so I can enjoy your love life from afar but don't have to be emotionally involved as I would if it were my own love life.

4 comments:

Cami said...

Oh, it's very nice to have something to do while the hubby is gone. Jake is just going to sleep over in DC to try to get tickets for the Easter Egg Roll, but I won't see him for 24 hours and I'll be all alone with the kiddies, and even THAT is enough for me. Of course, every other husband is doing that too. Too bad for me . . .

Kimberly said...

Does Kelly watch the Bachelor? If those are the "panties in the pocket" you are referring to--that is hilarious! By the way, I would have had you over even if your hubby wasn't out of town. Next time, we will have to do it when Jeff is in town. AND, don't worry about Blake--he isn't completely at fault...he threw out a few of his own punches. I am so sorry about the hit to the head Nicky took from the pan. It sort of makes me laugh thinking of them because it reminds me of the Tom and Jerry episodes my kids like to watch. Anyway...I loved your "packing heat" comment...I would REALLY be surprised if you owned a gun...you're so funny!!! Have a fun trip to you in-laws and Happy Easter!

KellyDiane said...

Thanks for making me an afterthought :) I was so glad that you witnessed the "panties in the pocket" I needed that laugh! And what Christopher Reeve movie did that line come from anyway? It had to have been back in 94' I think that was the year we were major movie buddies...I absolutely loved driving with you to movies 8 in that crappy Mazda! Do you remember afterward we'd drive around the MTC checking out the missionaries...good times! I'm glad that your hubby will be back soon, although it has been fun calling you 5 times a day with boy drama :)

Krustee said...

So glad those two weeks are over for you! We loved having an excuse to play with you more! Hope you had a wonderful Easter. I'm sure it is so fun to be all together again!