Another one of Nicky's fun pictures with Jeff as her subject.
For the past couple of weeks there was a new job offer presented to Jeff for which he was forced to ruminate. An old manager, I’ll call her V for this post, offered to give him a better paycheck to join her at her new company. His current company came back and offered him a pay raise up to the same amount. Anyone that knows Jeff, knows that decisions are not easy for him. He must dissect each choice (in this case the new job and the current job). He lists the pros and cons and makes spreadsheets to calculate how much money he is receiving in 401k matches, profit sharing, bonuses, and overtime. He talks of future positions he might like to have (and which company may provide those opportunities), the company car he drives (and which company will give him a better one), and on and on. He compares and contrasts until my head starts spinning. No stone goes unturned. You can see why getting married to this guy was no easy feat. Someday I’m going to have to ask to see my spreadsheet.
So Jeff spent at least two weeks agonizing. Initially he chose to go with V’s company. That wasn’t the choice I would make but I figured it was fine to go along with it. However by weeks end, Jeff had changed his mind and decided to stay with his current company. No one was informed of these decisions mind you, so Jeff had plenty of time to rethink and second guess his decision. Finally, I sat down with him with the goal to pin his mind to something. I have my own problems and Jeff will tell you but really decisions are easy for me in general. The right decision usually has some kind of feeling with it that I can detect. So we talked about what just felt right and decided that was going to be to stay with his current job. I think these feelings come from Heavenly Father and he guides us towards the path that will take us in the right direction. Even my friend who is not in the church gets “feelings” about things that are right and not right for her family. I’m not sure where she thinks they come from. I am going to have to ask her. I am sure glad for feelings wherever we believe they come from.
Anyhow, Jeff made two phone calls. One call was made to a relieved boss and one to a very unhappy V who had no problem making Jeff feel like dirt for disappointing her. Who wants to work for that? As the days go by the decision proves to be a good one in my mind although Jeff can’t help but wonder what could have been…
So Jeff spent at least two weeks agonizing. Initially he chose to go with V’s company. That wasn’t the choice I would make but I figured it was fine to go along with it. However by weeks end, Jeff had changed his mind and decided to stay with his current company. No one was informed of these decisions mind you, so Jeff had plenty of time to rethink and second guess his decision. Finally, I sat down with him with the goal to pin his mind to something. I have my own problems and Jeff will tell you but really decisions are easy for me in general. The right decision usually has some kind of feeling with it that I can detect. So we talked about what just felt right and decided that was going to be to stay with his current job. I think these feelings come from Heavenly Father and he guides us towards the path that will take us in the right direction. Even my friend who is not in the church gets “feelings” about things that are right and not right for her family. I’m not sure where she thinks they come from. I am going to have to ask her. I am sure glad for feelings wherever we believe they come from.
Anyhow, Jeff made two phone calls. One call was made to a relieved boss and one to a very unhappy V who had no problem making Jeff feel like dirt for disappointing her. Who wants to work for that? As the days go by the decision proves to be a good one in my mind although Jeff can’t help but wonder what could have been…
I have to give Jeff a hard time but really I am so proud of him. He is such a hard worker and such a great person in general.
5 comments:
I always say stick with the job you know as long as it is comparable. But I know about the decision making. Jake does that with the littlest things!! I'm glad it's all figured out.
Good for Jeff. Matt is also like that, he'll agonize forever when making decisions!
I'm so glad Jeff gets to stay at the same job! I hate those kinds of decisions as well! As for my jobs, I'm thinking of starting up a business to help men get married! I've realized that most are just too clueless! I received a text from a guy last Friday night at 9 PM, "what's up" you CAN'T text a girl that on a friday night!!! lame! Another guy I've talked to on four different occasions (who didn't even get my phone number from me, but my friend) called me twice but has never left a message! I'm seeing such a pattern of awkward male behavior, or maybe they're just lazy and want the women to do most of the work? Wow sorry, I was replying to Jeff's job and it turned into a very long vent! :)
congrats on a well made decision and raise! I love it when that "feeling" is clear. It makes decision making so much easier.
Whew!!! What a relief! Making monumental decisions, such as that, are so hard and stressful! Sounds like you did the right thing!
Post a Comment