Yesterday, I glimpsed at the cover of the new April Ensign and I felt sad. My initial reaction was one of longing for President Hinckley and a little anger with President Monson and the others on the cover for smiling and moving forward in their duties so quickly. My next reaction was to ask myself why I had such a strong reaction to a situation that is a normal changing of the guard in our church. President Hinckley is probably relieved to have a break on the other side and here I am in want of another memorial service for him or at least dour looks on the faces of the new First Presidency. My answer to myself was what it usually is when I have a funny reaction like this. I felt like the memory of President Hinckley was being abandoned. I’m a little nutty.I can trace my nuttiness right on back to my parents and their divorce. The divorce is almost 14 years ago and most of the psychological fallout has been dealt with on my part. I also offer nothing but compassion and forgiveness to both my Mom and Dad. Divorce is so common nowadays no one really blinks an eyelash when I tell them my parents were divorced. No one even faints or falls down dead when they hear my dad has been married six or so times (as I would have done if I had known that was how it was going to be). I find it funny that something so sad is so common. I feel like I am ok with this divorce now for the most part. But I still blame it on that divorce when my emotions quickly flare up in a situation where I feel like myself or someone I care about is being abandoned. Can I blame this on the divorce or do other people have this problem too? It took me the entire first year of my marriage to realize that is was ok to have an argument and that it wasn’t time to call a lawyer and divvy up the goods after a fight. So although all of that is clear now, I still have sadness for the loss of my parent’s marriage. It taints my reality so that I don’t always see situations clearly. I anticipate abandonment and loss on a primal level. I feel sad about this and often wonder if I would be more whole had none of it happened. Jeff says I blame a lot of my negative feelings on having divorced parents and that I would probably have those feelings anyway just being human. Sometimes I just want to catch a glimpse of myself without the tragedy and the damage to my psyche. How would it feel to never have the unexpected tragedy catch any of us unawares?
I know that trial and tragedy is part of life so maybe the accompanying scars and nuttiness left behind is the normal. Maybe we would all be uncompassionate sissies if nothing bad ever happened. I’m just glad for the part of my brain that can question my initial emotional thought processes. I read President Monson’s talk in the Ensign and cried because it was so beautiful and sweet. I love his stories and poems and I love the gentle feeling that surrounds him. I love the fact that when Heavenly Father takes a prophet home to him, he left a procedure in place that guarantees someone else wonderful will take the departed one's place. I also love the second chances in life. The fires in October scorched a lot of the hills by our house black. After it rained last month beautiful flowers and green grass grew over the scars left behind by the fire. I couldn’t help but see the symbolism. I feel that my marriage and family are the springtime and my second chance to make for my children what my parents couldn’t make last for me. I see that beautiful things can grow over scars. So now you all know I am nutty. I hope you will still like me anyway.
6 comments:
What a beautiful and honest post, Missy. I think all of us have things in our past that taint the way we see things now. I think you are doing a great job of learning from them and recognizing the source of your feelings so you can adjust your thinking. Yes, we are all human, but we are here to learn, I think you are doing great. I love the symbolism with the flowers on the hill.
I have goosebumps (seriously, I really do)!! My mom is a child of divorce and still experiences feelings of abandonment, sadness, and, occasionally, anger toward her parents. I was watching Oprah, a month ago, and she did a really good show on children of divorce. I cried through the entire show! I think it is sad to hear that so many people think of divorce as "normal." Although people move on, those wounds never truly heal. I think it is good that you recognize where your feelings are coming from and to not let those feelings control your life. Your parents divorce was not a choice that you made, but you can choose how it affects your life now. You are an incredible mom, wife, and friend! You always have a way for seeing the best in things...when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade! You may think you're nutty, but aren't we all?
I think we're all a little nutty! I loved your fire and flowers bit. I think we all have scars that we hope will one day yeild beautiful flowers! Your kids are lucky to have two wonderful committed parents!
That was such a treat to read. When I first glimpsed at the cover of the Ensign I have to admit that I cringed inside too. I am sorry for all that you have gone through. I am sure it will have made you stronger in the long run and you will fight harder to give your children what was robbed from you. Thank you for sharing.
Oh and by the way we knew you were nutty before. :) But this post was strangely un-nutty.
I don't think that is so weird...I was looking in the Ensign today wondering where the tribute to our former prophet was? I thought for sure there would be something!
You are definately not nutty. You are very thoughtful and good at identifying what is going on in your brain. I think that acceptance of our issues is a very important step. When I finally recognized and admitted I am crazy times during the certain time of month, then I could deal much better. I have also seen first hand with Todd many of the things you have felt with the divorce. It does change you, but you are all surviving it well and actually conquering it! Love you!
Post a Comment