Wasn’t it just yesterday that I had bottles and pacifiers stored in my cupboard? Did Nicky’s favorite baby bouncer that vibrated and played “The Farmer and the Dell” over and over into infinity just go out the door this morning to the goodwill? And why is that it feels like if I could just turn back the clock an hour or two, my fat baby girl would be there with her finger twirled up in my hair?
The same goes for Andy. Instead of crying, wasn’t he just rustling his blankets in that bassinet a few nights ago? Since when did the babies decide to leave? I think I need to put my foot down with all this growing.
Don’t think I don’t know what’s happening here. I’m going to be laid off. One of these days there won’t be diapers to change, quesadillas to make, and dog stories to tell. The company here will be going in a new direction and my brand of screwed up mothering won't be needed. I’m going to be kicking and screaming the morning I’m sent back to a cubicle.
Time used to ebb more gently at my old job writing technical manuals. Why then does it need to go at the speed of light when I so love to kiss baby cheeks and see little drinking cups with dandelions meant for me in the kitchen?
I’m just going to have to be very happy with people wetting their pants, biting friends’ kids, and wanting to put all their stuffed animals in the tub because one of these days it's not going to be something I'll be dealing with. I'll be smelling hot coffee that I don't drink, sitting in a swivel chair, and interviewing engineers a little nerdily clad. It’s time to read a bedtime story to a Thomas clad Andy instead of writing this entry. Thanks for making me think about it all President Monson. That talk was a killer.
8 comments:
I Love it, Melissa. You are so right! I loved his talk too. Thanks for your perspective.
I loved that talk, too. It was funny because I had just told the kids that they can't touch the windows any more NO MATTER WHAT, and that I am sick and tired of wiping the big windows down. During conference, Jerome and Asha looked at me as if to say, "See, it is OK to have finger prints. The prophet told us so."
You've got a few years yet right?
You are funny. That is exactly the thing I said during that talk, "Thanks for rubbing it in!" My friend and I had JUST finished talking about how our babies are growing up too fast. Argh.
BUT, you DON'T have to go back to a cubicle. Stop that right away.
Having more babies is good job security! :) This company's not going anywhere for a long time. Loved your entry. You are a FABULOUS writer. I'm so glad I met you all those years ago and found you again. Funny how things like that work out...
I stopped washing fingerprints off the sliding glass door a long time ago. I know what you mean, I loved his talk too, and will miss all these little things! Why does time have to pass so fast?
I told Emma she can't move out ever! Haha how selfish is that. Although I still have to work unlike most, I will still miss her around when she is grown not because I will ahve to work but because I won't be around her each day.
loved this talk! I get teary eyed doing the laundry now when I am channeling his words and feel like it is a real treat to get to do like 10 loads everyday.
Post a Comment