Thursday, November 6, 2008

Strangerly Acts of Kindness

It's interesting how a small act of kindness can lift the spirits. This evening Jeff needed a trip to the barbershop so I took the kids next door to Rite Aid to get ice cream and wait. Nicky chose a big purple and pink nasty looking scoop of cotton candy for herself and Andy. I got a scoop of Cookies and Cream for myself (yes both my parents have been in the hospital this week so all diets are off). We were waiting a long time to buy our ice cream because the old guy at the register couldn't make up his mind on which brand of cigarettes to buy. Andy busily picked up mounds of jelly beans and candy bars on the side shelves probably imagining that if he screamed hard enough, I'd end up buying it all for him. While messing around, he and his load fell to the floor. If the loud clanking of Andy and the candy hitting the floor wasn't enough to make a scene, the ice cream and cone separating and smashing to the floor while I stooped to get him was. The teenager waiting behind me smiled sheepishly as I picked up the large wad of wet and melting cookies and cream off the floor.

Then from behind me, a sweet baby faced teenage Rite Aid employee came and took the melting mess from my hands. After washing his hands, he made me a brand new ice cream cone. I moved toward the register to wait again to purchase but he simply said that both ice creams were on him. For some reason when a stranger is nice and they don't have to be and I'm having a hard day, it means everything.

9 comments:

Cami said...

yes. true.

myspoileddogs said...

Ahh that's such a nice story!! Glad there are still nice people out there!

myspoileddogs said...

Ahh that's such a nice story!! Glad there are still nice people out there!

Marie' said...

So true.

KellyDiane said...

SO nice when that happens. I too had an experience. I went to have new tires put on my car. I had been driving with the drivers side inside door handle broken for months. (I had to roll down the window and open the car from the outside handle every time I needed to get out). Well, after the tires were on this teenage guy said he could swap the back door handle with the front (still ghetto, but very helpful) He didn't charge me. It was so nice of him to take the extra time, and thought! It made my day.

KellyDiane said...

Oh and I totally understand the no diet thing this week. Did you get the picture text of what I ate last night...comfort food is very important lately!

Kimberly said...

Awww! I love it when things like that happen. Something similar happened to me when I was pregnant with Luke and I totally started bawling...very embarrassing!

Lindsay Jones said...

I hope things are okay with your parents. I'm glad someone was there to help you.

Krustee said...

Okay, I'm laughing again. Seriously someone threw a banana peel away for me on one of "those days" long ago and I nearly burst into tears. The person stands out in my mind as a total saint.