
The day before yesterday was spent mostly in the car inspecting Sacramento and its surroundings to make plans for future living arrangements. Stay tuned on that. I made the two hour drive back to the Bay Area whilst everyone else slept soundly. I was so tired I had to resort to giving myself quick smacks across the face to liven myself. The long evening naps made for a very, very late night for Nicky and I. She cannot get herself to sleep when she has had any sort of nap in the day.
"No problem," I said as I slammed the door shut from the cold.
After such a long day with the kids and a late night, Jeff and I were excited when the kids both went right to sleep at 7:30 last night and Jeff's brother Daniel and his girlfriend invited us for a night out on the town. Jeff lost his driver's license at the San Diego airport. This made it hard to go shoot pool as the pool hall is also a drinking establishment. Jeff is now 32 and I'm wondering at what point he is going to look like he is 21. Somehow he managed to talk his way in and Jeff and I lost a game of pool to Daniel and Jennifer. Afterwards, we went to San Ramon to see one of Jeff's friends. It still wasn't too late when we finished there so Daniel said he wanted to stop and see one more friend. Jeff and I hardly ever get any time to talk without chattering, fighting, or crying in the background. So I made the suggestion that Jeff and I could wait in the car while Daniel and Jennifer went into the friend's house. Five minutes after they went inside, the bright light of dawn burst through our foggy windows from the spotlight on a squad car. The windows were fogged from nothing more than Jeff making a phone call and me texting so the soft spoken officer with his flashlight found nothing electrifying in the backseat.
"Everything ok here?"
"Yes sir, Officer, everything is fine," said Jeff, "we are just waiting for my brother and his girlfriend in the house over there. "
"Ok, well... just seeing two people sitting in the backseat of a parked car is a little suspicious, so I needed to check it out.
"No problem," I said as I slammed the door shut from the cold.
The police car drove away. It seemed like only a few minutes went by because we barely had time to start a conversation when about eight squad cars appeared all shining their blasted bright spotlights into our car. I felt a twisty anxious knot in my gut. I knew we hadn't done anything wrong so in theory we didn't need to worry. On the other hand, I'm no stranger to stories such as the recent one in San Diego where a wife was accused of poisoning her marine husband and was thrown in jail. Six months later she was exonerated by some evidence brought to light by a coroner. So she innocently sat in the pokey all that time mourning the husband she didn't kill while her children were raised by Grandma. Honestly, it's one of my worst fears.
The same officer suspiciously maneuvered up to the car again shining the flashlight. I opened the door.
"Can you just hold your hands up there for me?"
My stomach twisted again with the site of the officer's gun and handcuffs not so much illuminated by the lights but by my imagination.
"No problem. We don't have anything. Is there a problem?"
"Let me just tell you what is going here. We just got a call telling us that there was someone waving a gun out the window of a car that matches your car's description. Did you guys just come from Taco Bell?"
"No. We were just visiting another friend in San Ramon."
Another officer walked over and opened Jeff's door.
"Can I have you both just step out of the car?"
Daniel and Jennifer were summoned by a quick phone call and were surprised by the stakeout as they came out the door.
Jeff surprised the officer by telling him he was married and had two kids and we were simply trying to have some conversation in the backseat. Again, when is Jeff going to look older than 20?
The whole situation finally ended after they put Jeff and Daniel line up like in front of the bright lights and the accuser in one of the police cars luckily didn't recognize them. Can you imagine if he thought he did recognize them?
In the meantime, the idiot waving a gun out the window of another green Toyota Camry had about 20 minutes to make a clean getaway.
8 comments:
You've got to be KIDDING me! Jeff's fountain of youth is too much. Hilarious.
What a story! Glad you got that one recorded.
That's quite the story. I hope you can laugh at it, now that it's over!
Oh man. That is crazy times. Jake is never going to look older than 21 either. Lame. And I look 40 sometimes.
So, once we were playing a sort of fugitive game in Provo where we went several miles on foot while our friends tried to find us in a car. Turns out they found someone at one point that the police were looking for (he had a gun), so they drove around yelling at us that the game was over, which we ignored. Then the cops found us and yelled at us, and then the game really WAS over. Crazy! I hate mistaken identity.
ROFL... That's hilarious! I am sure it was scary but it's a story you will be laughing about for years!!!
what are the odds. that is so funny missy. I would have been freaked.
What a nightmare! It seems like you handled it well. I would have been bawling my eyes out! And to think it was all because you wanted to have some time alone. I was surprised you were texting and not making out (ha ha)...at least that's what Devon would have wanted to do (ha ha)! How's your stay going in UT and when are you guys moving? Soon? I haven't heard any news about the sell of our condo recently...just wondering!
that'll teach you two to try and have a conversation on your own! :) Um glad you didn't end up on jail. What a crazy story.
Post a Comment