Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Activities

Jeff was forced into taking his remaining vacation days last week so as to avoid losing them. Of course there are no available days around the holidays when it would be more enjoyable to have time off but it was still fun having him around.

We attempted to go to the extended hour light festival at the Wild Animal Park but ended up going two days too early. This meant that we had the park and the Lorakeets pretty much to ourselves for a whole hour before the park closed. We also got free parking.



Our next stop was the San Diego Temple. They have little musical firesides as well as light displays and a kid touchable manger scene. I don't have a picture of Nicky trying to ride one of the sheep. We yelled at her to get off but she wouldn't and the whole thing flipped over and almost knocked her down the hill.

Saturday was the Ward Christmas party. Our old Bishop always dresses as Santa. Initially, Nicky said she didn't want to sit on his lap because she already wrote him a letter telling him what she wanted. She gets shy. Andy said, "Andy Santa sad." When Nicky heard the jingle bells and saw Santa she changed her mind and sat on his lap. And yes, we made Andy sad once again and possibly traumatized him by posing him on Santa's lap for a picture.

This Sunday activity was perhaps the biggest hit. There was a constant shoveling of candy into loaded mouths so I was surprised there was some candy left to decorate the house when the frosting was finished. After everything was over and the kids came out from taking their baths, one side of the roof had fallen. It was a little traumatic but just meant the kids could partake of the house early with their little friends this morning after I told them the story of Hansel and Gretle.


7 comments:

Kimberly said...

Oh, the classic picture on Santa's lap with a child crying...I had a picture of Taylor and Luke that I kept on my fridge for a year because it was so funny to look at both of their faces.

I loved your gingerbread house. I've been thinking I should do that with my kids this year...they would love it!

KellyDiane said...

Love all the pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun...so cute.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun. I am sorry we haven't gotten together for Holiday fun-we really want to, but with sick kids and rainy weather, who knows if we will catch a break!! I sure hope so!!! We still would love to get together sometime this week if you have time-how about Wednesday night??? Give me a call or drop me an email! I love the pictures!! And I can totally imagine "making"/eating the ginger bread house!!

myspoileddogs said...

Your kids look so cute with that bird!!!

Marie' said...

That is exactly what happened to our first ginger bread house, too. All my boys cried on Santa's lap, but Asha just looked up at Santa's face with a scawl.

Cami said...

It's a LOVELY gingerbread house--while they last they are always fun. We have a kit, we'd better do it.

Sorry about the Santa trauma. I feel like I'm always saying, do this, and HAVE FUN dangit!

Krustee said...

the sheep thing is so funny and Andy and Nicky look so incredibly happy in the gingerbread picture!