Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Missionary Christmas Eve

We were lucky to have the missionaries, Elder Hoffmann and Elder Whiting, join us for Christmas Eve dinner. I had fun calling their moms to obtain information for surprises. I also got to hear about the traditions they enjoyed in their families. It helped me think more about traditions because this is the first Christmas we've spent alone at home without going to Jeff's parents.

I think today was one of the best Christmas Eve's I've ever had. This morning there were a couple of things I needed like a tablecloth and stocking holder. When I went to Rite Aide, I found those things plus a tree skirt all for 75% off. Elder Whiting's mom gave me a couple of her son's favorite recipes to make. I normally like to try out a recipe once before I serve it to someone outside the family because I tend to screw up first tries. Not so today. Even my cinnamon roll Christmas tree with candy cherries turned out. Things went so smoothly and there was such a lovely feeling in the air, that it actually came to mind that I was experiencing what it might feel like to prepare for a visit from the Savior.

Ha ha. Notice the Hallmark houses as centerpieces. A little inside joke to myself and to faithful readers.

Our family with an uncooperative Andy.

Nicky harassed Elder Whiting so much with poking, tickling, and biting that I was afraid he was going to get a hole in his shirt. He is such a good sport even though his tie was a lot longer when he went out than it was when he came in.

Elder Hoffmann with his staff sheets. I never buy musical things. Finding and buying that gift was the other thing that went smoothly this morning.

Elder Whiting likes to draw.

More harassing given to a cheerful victim.

This particular pair of missionaries are some of our favorites to pass through. We've lived here three years so we've had quite a few. They have a special happiness and joy around them. They are good kids and we were honored to have them in our home for Christmas Eve.

6 comments:

Jen and her men said...

What a cool way to spend Christmas Eve. We have spent most of our holiday at home by ourselves as well and I LOVE IT! It's so great to start our own family traditions. Merry Christmas to you!

Cami said...

That looks fun! The sister missionaries called us on Christmas Eve and I didn't answer. I knew they were going to want to come watch us open all our presents, and I guess I wanted some privacy. And we were already having 15 people over for Christmas Eve dinner. I guess I'm just a grump and I should have let them come. It sure looks festive for your fam!

SuburbiaMom said...

Aren't we old that we now refer to missionaries as "kids." Glad that you had a good time prepping--looked like fun!

Marie' said...

I think you are so great to call the mothers of the missionaries for the recipes. I would have loved that during my missions.

KellyDiane said...

Your table looked great! I bet the missionaries really appreciated the extra effort you put forth. They are the same ones I met over Thanksgiving...very cool!

Krustee said...

ok, you are so amazing and incredibly thoughtful! What a great idea to get some of their favorite recipes. I always prayed to be fed my favorite foods when I was homesick on my mission and amazingly I was. I'm sure those missionaries will never forget what you did for them. I would have never even thought to do that.