Friday, February 27, 2009

Vile Circus Animals

I must be preoccupied with dieting because I had this strange dream last night. Keep in mind this write up gets a self-rated PG-13.

Jeff and I were taking the kids for a stroller walk in an unfamiliar area. In the distance I could hear and see a crowd gathering and they were looking up at sky. There was a Red Baron type Fokker Tri-plane hovering at a low altitude. The airplane was low enough that the pilot was able to use a speaker phone to yell down.

“I’m not going to be able to hold it here much longer. This plane is going to crash.”

He was about to yell down a tearful last message to be relayed to his loved ones when I told Jeff we’d better run. We pushed our strollers fast down the street for a few blocks but met with a dead end. There at the end of the street was a strange men’s store. We could hear the plane and its sick clunky propellers coming towards us so we ducked into the shop. We watched as the plane miraculously but anti-climatically landed softly in an empty field next to the men’s store. Since the excitement was over, I took notice of my surroundings. The store sold hardware, auto parts, and hard liquor. Two men were getting hair cuts in some soft barbershop rotation chairs off to the side. The barber was trimming with clippers that had an unusual attachment and so the haircuts looked odd. The store was very busy with men hurriedly coming in, waiting in the line, and going right out. The only other woman in the store besides me was the cashier. She looked to be in her fifties and had long straggly dishwater blond hair and leather skin, probably the byproduct of years in the sun. She had the raspy thin voice of a chain smoker but used it to the best of her abilities to pleasantly greet each customer at the register.

After a few moments, the Hispanic pilot from the plane that almost crashed came into the store. He was wearing a gray flight suit jumper and was both excited to be alive and tell us his regaling near-death story. He seemed most interested in telling me his story probably because I was the only woman there. I listened politely and then was disgusted to realize he was rubbing against me and I could feel he had an erection. (I don’t normally have dreams like this either, so don’t anybody start thinking strange things about me.) I was thinking to myself he must really have a problem because he had almost just died and yet here he was trying to get a perverse jolly off of me.

I got away from him by moving towards the line of men and the cashier. I suddenly became very curious about what they were buying. One man was buying some bolts, another was buying spark plugs. The liquor was locked up in high glass cabinets and could only be freed by the cashier who intermittently reached up with a key to retrieve rum or whiskey for a requesting customer.

I noticed a hard looking dirty man of the world with long straggly hair next in line and he had a request for the cashier. I was curious about which liquor he’d ask for so I sat down near the counter to listen. He saw me and so whispered his request so I wouldn’t hear. The cashier seemed shocked and said, “the good Lord wouldn’t want you to have that stuff.” She and the man were familiar with each other and it seemed she was warning him against danger as a good friend would. My curiosity was peeked further by this exchange and I couldn’t wait to see the foremost of all the abominations in the glass cabinets. The cashier seemed reluctant but she slowly got her keys and opened the highest cabinet. She shook her head disapprovingly and pulled out a bag of Mother’s frosted circus animal cookies. Then I woke up.

I did a quick search on the Internet today and found that Mother’s has discontinued its line of frosted circus animals. I loved those cookies.

3 comments:

KellyDiane said...

very PG-13 Missy...totally funny!!! I wish I was having such entertaining dreams! Mine was the prophet telling us to prepare because our economy was going to be worse than the great depression...I'd welcome a pokey pilot dream after that depressing one!

Cami said...

Oh my goodness. That is quite the vivid dream. And the ending was quite the kicker! Nice job.

Emily said...

That is hilarious. I read a while ago that those cookies were discontinued. And not that we ever really bought them, but now I crave them all the time. I have managed to find a couple knock-offs. But man, what a dream. What details you remember.