The theme of tonight's FHE was the Resurrection. I made a copy and cut out the miniature Jesus, sepulchre, and giant stone from the nursery manual. I notice the kids don't mind hearing the same stories multiple times if there are pictures or activities to involve them. Nicky enjoyed putting Jesus in the sepulchre and rolling the stone in front. We had to wait the appropriate amount of time before moving the stone from the doorway and allowing Jesus back out; there was no rushing her. When it was Andy's turn, he made the sepulchre a bracelet by shoving his whole hand through the doorway. Nicky corrected him and he then proceeded to sweetly put Jesus in and take him back out again.
While the kids were doing their activity, I talked about how Jesus' Resurrection made it possible for us to be alive again after we die. I told Nicky that I'm excited that I will be able to see Grandma Dee after we die and she will remember me again. I said right now Grandma's brain is very sick and it is hard for her to remember anything. I told Nicky that Grandma Dee would get to know her in heaven. Maybe Grandma Dee could teach her how to paint pictures.
Nicky said, "Yeah, Grandma Dee doesn't know how to talk very much and she doesn't know my name. She even forgets to wear shoes. When we go to Utah I will just remind her my name every time she forgets."
Of course there is sadness in hearing Nicky talk like that but it helped that in the moment this material was surrounded by a hopeful and happy topic. How sweet it is to imagine my mother as remembering, healthy, vibrant, and happy individual. I don't know how resurrections occur, but the whole concept and the true feeling within me of its reality is a tremendous comfort.
4 comments:
Melissa, I also am happy to know that the day will come for you, when you will get your Mom back, fully.
This gospel principle also brings me comfort. The last few years of my mom's life, she really suffered. There were many things that mom's little body could not do by itself. It makes me happy to know that she is whole again and is the vibrant mom that was always taking care of everyone else. How lucky we are to have the gospel in our lives!
We are not only blessed to have the gospel in our lives that teaches so many wonderful principles, but we are blessed to have sweet young children who say the sweetest things and are so close to the spirit.
Won't that be an amazing reunion! What a great mother and teacher you are...thank goodness for the Gospel! Happy Belated Easter. You're still coming to Utah, right...we'll see you soon!
Post a Comment