I'm headed to Utah next week for Women's Conference and to meet up with friends. It will be my first outing without the family in tow and I'm excited. In addition to seeing friends, I will spend time with my brothers and kids and also meet up with three of my uncles. I'm gifting all family members with either a hard copy or CD of Grandma's 1981-1983 journal. My mother and I have been the only ones to lay eyes on these writings. Nobody is expecting anything so I hope it will be a pleasant surprise. There is also another matter on my mind. Thanks to my recent Facebook reunion with my childhood friend Jeralyn, I was able to get the name and number of the people who have lived in my childhood home for the past 20 years; their last name is Johnson. I asked for this information because I have this voracious longing to step over the threshold for a final time. I thought calling and asking might be less awkward than just showing up.
We left my white brick Highland house the summer I turned 13. The last memory I have is of taking a nap in my furniture-less, bare bedroom floor while the sun poured onto me through the large window. I felt so warm. The muffled sound of the lawnmower outside was the last sound I heard from the inside. The departure was forced and traumatic for my parents. We lost our home to the bank. I got over it pretty quick. Foreclosure isn't the end of the world. I shared a great bedroom with my sister in our next house and made a new space for myself. However, I never loved a house again with the fervor and loyalty that I innocently and wholeheartedly gave my white house. When people ask me where I'm from, I always say Utah. Secretly, inside, I want to say I am from my white brick house on 9600 North; for that is where I was planted and grew just like my dad's vegetable garden in the backyard.
It's a strange thing to drive past something for years that feels like it belongs to you in your heart but in legal reality truly belongs to someone else. I have no business being there in the present but I'm always there in my memories. I have a sort of nostalgic compulsion to return. At once I am compelled to ask and to enter but I'm terrified. It sort of reminds me of a terrible experiment I created as a nine-year-old. One of my cats was hit by a car and died. I was curious about decomposition. I placed the cat corpse in an empty cat food bag and placed everything under a few loose bricks in the backyard. I waited a week and came back to take a peek. Words can't describe the horror. You'd think that something that was dead could not possibly be full of such horrific life. There were definitely changes that took place while I was gone and I wish I would have never witnessed what those changes were. It's the same with the old house. Will I be satisfied or at peace looking in a home that is filled with different furniture and a different family? Will I be traumatized to find disrepair? Will I be any less traumatized if I find all the fixtures, carpeting, doors, etc. familiar to my childhood memories replaced by newer, more fashionable accouterments? What do I hope to accomplish? Like the dead cat, wouldn't it just be better to leave my house how it was in my memories? Why is this house so ghostly in my feelings? Why does it feel like I need to have a sort of "viewing" to leave this "home" in the past?
Family picture in front of the house. I'm the fat-faced baby in the ridiculous flower jumper.I found this poem by Emily Dickinson that brilliantly describes how I'm feeling.
I years had been from home,
And now before the door,
I dared not open, lest a face
I never saw before
Stare vacant into mine
And ask my business there.
My business, -- just a life I left,
Was such still dwelling there?
I fumbled at my nerve,
I scanned the windows near;
The silence like an ocean rolled,
And broke against my ear.
I laughed a wooden laugh
That I could fear a door,
Who danger and the dead had faced,
But never quaked before.
I fitted to the latch
my hand, with trembling care,
Lest back the awful door should spring,
And leave me standing there.
I moved my fingers off
As cautiously as glass,
And held my ears, and like a thief
Fled gasping from the house.
10 comments:
I've had a similar experience and I think you should call them and go see your house. It's part of your history and right now you are in the thick of history as you have been transcribing your grandmother's journals. This may be your one opportunity. I think you should go into knowing that it will be different but remembering the wonderful and warm memories that you have. Take pictures of the outside and the yard. Someday you can share those memories and stories from that time in your life with your kids. When I had the opportunity to go back it brought back memories that I had forgotten about that I was glad to remember. Yes, it was hard to see that the house was no longer what it had been (in my case not taken care of) but I moved past that and revelled in the good memories. I could go and on about my experience and sometime we should get together and talk. For now, I say "DO IT!" I think you will have regrets if you don't.
You need to do it! You will always regret not going when you had the perfect opportunity! If you would like me to call the Johnson's for you first, I would be glad to. I wish I could come down that weekend - I have made plans with my inlaws to go to the temple with them (they are going to watch the kids, then switch with us). You will have to let me know how it goes.
Good poem! I am actually terrified of visiting Maryland again because I would drive past my house and know it wasn't my house anymore. All the colors and furniture changed--different people, no kids! I couldn't stand to see my own house so lonely and different. But maybe over time I would want to visit it again. I know my mom visited her childhood home and it was a great experience. But it was when she was in her 40s. Maybe in time it will be nostalgic and not traumatic?
I have wanted to do the same thing with my childhood home. I think it could be a good thing. I felt a little bad for the Hanson's when we did so many changes here, but we had to make it our home. I will always think of you now when I drive past it on my way to Costco!
When I moved to Maryland, my parents had full blown plans to move from the house they live in now. I thought I'd never set foot in that house again after I moved. I was relieved to hear that their plans went awry and they didn't end up moving after all. I believe I would've had the same thoughts and feelings as you had it happened. Every second of my life until MD was in that house. Too many memories to let go of. I say got see it. You might love it.
And I have to say that I LOVE that picture. Could the peck kids get any cuter? I think Jillian is the spitting image of her father.
Do it! I wish we were going to be here. I'd love to see you! :)
Oh, I know what you mean about remembering homes. I "visit" my old addresses some times on Google Earth.
I have had so many dreams about that house. So strange that it's been 20 years and I still dream about it vividly. I wish I could be there to go with you. I would totally be game. Are you going next weekend? I want to book a flight and come up! I'll just get a rental car. I love the picture of the family in front of our home. Mom was so beautiful...and dad, well...chubby!
You're braver than I am. I don't think I would dare ask the people who live in my old house to re-visit it. It would be fun though.
Guess it just matters if you are ok with seeing ti all different than in your memory with others living there.
Post a Comment