Sunday, May 31, 2009
T.S.F. Moves Ahead
I continue to plug away at my memoir essay, "Three September Fires." I was checking the Internet tonight and found a publication in Saucilito that does a bi-annual memoir competition. Entries are due August 19. I think I'm going to submit. I need some sort of deadline to get my arse moving on this thing. This is my first ever creative writing project. I'm so picky about my words and sentence structure that I'm afraid I'll never lay eyes on the completed memoir. It's been a fun hobby but it is also so much more. I've had this story sitting on my head and heart for the last 6 months. I think of it all the time and I've determined that whatever comes of it, winning a competition or no, I'll have written the story I was meant to write. I only wish I could capture the music of my feelings by having a broader vocabulary or a better understanding of the language. I'm very humble about my lacks. Nevertheless, I move forward and hopefully this little competition will be a good motivator to at least finish. I guess one must have courage when submitting words from the heart to the scrutiny of others. I feel a little weak in the knees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Do it Melissa!! I love reading your blogs. You are an amazing writer. I wish I could write & express myself as well as you do. You most definitely have a gift!
Scary! I think you'll do great. Good luck!
What a great idea! You will do great. Your blog is one of the few ones that I look forward to READING and not just looking at.
You've got nothing to lose!
Post a Comment