Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Long Day of Guilt

Before I head into my guilt-ridden day, I thought I'd post some pictures. We've been attempting to settle ourselves and get furniture, etc. but it takes time. For the last few weeks, this is the sight I've seen most:

The downstairs is all tile and so without furniture it echoes. So the kids run crazy, fight, etc. all with lovely sound effects that drive me out of my mind.

The back yard was all dead when we got here so Jeff's dad has been coming up on weekends to help get the new lawn put in. The kids love the dirt and their backyard as you can see. That's the Scooby Doo Gang there in the dirt pile if you couldn't guess. I have two sets now because the kids fought so much over the one set (there's only five in the gang so it's impossible to divide them fairly). Now there is fighting because Andy wants two Velmas instead of one. I can never win.
Andy finally got to leave his crib and transferred to a full bed. He LOVES it but looks so small in it. I don't want him to ever grow big enough to look right in it.

Now to my guilt. I was having the perfect pregnancy: no previa, no low fluid, plenty of kicking, no complications whatsoever. When suddenly I went for an ultrasound yesterday and my amniotic fluid level is down to 6 (if it gets to 5 or below they deliver the baby). Nicky was a full term baby but Andy was delivered at 34 weeks because he had no more amniotic fluid. There is no good reason for it and I thought it was something random. Now it is happening again. 34 weeks is on the bigger end for being a pre-term baby but it still means a premature baby. I never got to hold Andy or nurse him for long after he was born. Instead he was in the NICU with what looked like a Star Wars airfighter mask on. He wouldn't eat without falling asleep and other such fun things. Worst of all he looked so scrawny with his chicken bone legs. I felt guilty that I had him early even though it wasn't my fault.
If it happens again, I can only pray that things work out as well as they did for Andy. He is fine now. I also have experience with this so it is not as bad as having it happen the first time. I just feel sad because there was no warning. They've been checking my fluid levels every two weeks and everything was fine. It makes me feel so guilty for doing this to the little guy in there who is just trying to grow. I also had many thoughts of having a normal pregnancy this time. I was so satisfied thinking about how he would be full term and he would snuggle with me there in the hospital as long as I wanted and I could nurse him right away without having to milk myself on the dang breast pump for six weeks.
If that is the worse that happens though, I will be thankful. Who knows, maybe I will go in tomorrow and the levels will go back up. As sad as I am, I am so glad there are ultrasounds and doctors that can find out these things. I wouldn't have Andy without intervention.
I guess it's just not nice to worry and not know how things will turn out. I also have two other kids hanging around that need a lot of attention. I'm feeling real guilty about them. I was going to sign Nicky up for preschool this week and that won't be happening. Andy's birthday is on Saturday with a party planned. He wants a spider man cake that I won't be making. Jeff is getting behind on work. We are in a new place with no friends. I do have some acquaintances to call on for babysitting, so I am grateful for that. I'm just going to have to adjust from a normal pregnancy to a higher risk, try to keep my worry down and hope to not continue with the guilt. I just have too much time on my hands with the doctor ordered, "frequent rests." I really don't want to be so self obsessed. These days where I have to check fetal kick counts on my own are just nerve wracking. I don't want anyone dying in utero there.

11 comments:

Shelly said...

No guilt! You are amazing and are doing everything you can. You just take it easy. Those cute kids are going to be fine and that sweet baby needs you to rest and not stress! We're praying for you and thinking about you. Take care of you!

Lindsay Jones said...

Don't feel guilty. It is not your fault at all. I felt that way with both of my twin pregnancies. I also still feel bad about not being able to enjoy my babies in those first precious hours. I wish we could help. Don't worry about your older kids, they won't remember or be scarred by this at all. Hang in there and REST!!

Lisa said...

I agree with everything that Shelly & Lindsay said. It's not your fault so don't feel guilty and Nikki & Andy really won't remember. You take care of yourself and your baby and know that you have many people praying for you both. We love you! Hang in there and try to rest as much as possible.

SuburbiaMom said...

What causes the fluid levels to drop?

You are a good mommy. My oldest 2 were premies too and didn't nurse, either. I feel your pain, but at least if it does happen you've been through it before and know what to expect.

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

I remember being in that position. I hated it. I hated worrying and not sleeping because I was worried about my babies inside. It's not easy to have to have a premature baby. Especially when you have other kids at home. It's hard to have your heart in more than one place and you physically can only be in one. I wish I was closer I would love to come and get your kids and help out. I'd even make you dinner.

Anonymous said...

What more can I say-these wonderful ladies have said it all. Rest and pray I guess is all I would add. Andy and Nikki will be fine-hey who doesn't like movie day all day long. I say bust out the treats and have bunch of pajama days. I am sorry this is happening, I can only imagine how scary it must be for you. It will work out though, you will see, and like you said, if it doesn't work out how you planned you have done it before. I wish we were closer. Keep us posted! We will keep you in our prayers.

Emily said...

Oh, how I hear you on this one. It's no fun at all to have an unconventional pregnancy and birth. The guilt is awful, and you have your other kids thrown into the mix, making it even harder. And the pumping! Weeks of pumping instead of mursing is wearing on me too. But, at 34 weeks (though you'll probably go longer than that) your baby will do so well, I'm sure. But I know you already know that. I'm praying for you and your family.

Skinner Family said...

Good Luck! I wish I was closer to help out. Don't feel guilty, just take care of yourself and that sweet little boy you are carrying. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Amber said...

Goodness, another one of your lovely pregnancy worries. I'm sure all will be well, but I guess you needed something else to worry about right now while you are moving! Anyway, put more pics of your house (or maybe you did on older posts). I'm sorry I'm such a bad sis-in-law, but I tried to catch up a little on your blog today. Good luck with a kitty too. You need one like our kittens that just let the kids drag them around!! Good luck with all and let me know about the baby!

KellyDiane said...

I'm sorry about all your stress right now Missy. You are in my prayers. I wish I could have been there for Andy's bday party today. I want to hear all about it!

Cami said...

Sorry about the echoing basement. At least you have one. Mine is dust. Also, I gave up worrying and feeling guilty about things pregnancy related--they are out of my control.

Also, the scooby doo thing cracked me up. Sounds like a problem we'd have.