Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Cheap Fairy

I heard a mix of crying and laughing coming up the stairs on Sunday. Nicky appeared. She'd bitten into an ice cream sandwich and her first loose tooth was hanging by a piece of bloody
gum. I worked it out and was amazed by its tininess.

For the first time in her five years she was excited for bedtime because the Tooth Fairy would come with $100. When we were sure she was asleep I put two bucks under her pillow. She woke me up at 2:30 a.m. to say, "Mommy, the Tooth Fairy came and she only left two dollars."

I said, "that's a lot."

"Oh, is that a lot?" was all she said and then she went back to bed.

In the morning she wanted to go straight to the Dollar store to buy two items. To her great chagrin we had our first tithing talk. You'd think twenty cents was like one hundred dollars in her mind. We talked and counted money for an hour until she understood and agreed, with a scowl on her face, to pay tithing.

I wasn't sure what to do with the dead baby tooth resting under the pillow. It didn't seem right to throw it away. We go way back. It was the perpetrator of many a nipple bleed. My sweet Nicky was a nursing biter. I also got a nice one on the toe once while I was talking on the phone. I had to say goodbye to my conversation to get a compress for the gushing blood.

It's sad to see the baby grow but so fun in many ways. One of my favorite things about growing up is the extra help around the house. It's music to my ears when the vacuum is running and I'm not holding it. Nicky did all the stairs this morning.

8 comments:

KellyDiane said...

so adorable. I love the tithing talk, and her saying, "only got two dollars" Times have changed for sure. I don't remember getting anything for teeth, I think by the time I lost teeth, mom and dad had lost all their money. She is the cutest, love the baby picture!

Lisa said...

Fred has saved all of kids teeth and other items I won't mention in case some of your readers would be offended! It's kind of gross if you ask me but whatever. He has these all saved in a tin. It is fun to have the extra help. I LOVE the pictures!

Emily said...

I never thought about the teeth having sentimental value to the parents, but after all I am going through with those teeth coming in, I can totally see what you are talking about. And man, 2 dollars. That girl doesn't know how lucky she is. Your kids are just hilarious, and adorable of course.

youngsters said...

i love your stories! the first tooth kalei lost her cheap-o dad thought it would be cool to give her a quarter and some coins from a different country. that's no fun & who wants change! i had to take control of that real fast! lol

Amber said...

I think the fairy is pretty nice to Nikki, she only brings our kids 1 dollar! Also, she is pretty young to lose teeth. I always hate to say goobye to their tiny pearls. Can't wait to see you guys soon!

Amber said...

Oh, I don't know if the pic. at the top with the sandy feet is new since I go a while between blogs, but I love it! So cute!

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

That's a big moment. A sign of growing up. I still have one of my kids teeth in my purse. Throwing it away just doesn't seem right, but neither does carrying it around.

Cami said...

Oh my heckingosh, $2?? That's a lot. Very generous.