We had no time in the day to plant everything so I did it by lantern light one night with Jeff directing me. It's amazing how many rules these plants have. Some must be 4 feet apart from friends, others only 19 inches. Some plants must be planted into a little hill and others must have at least four rows of their own kind so as to germinate. While I was planting Jeff talked of how the plants might grow so bounteous that the stems and leaves would leave the planter box and grow down the hill behind our house. It was interesting how tender I felt towards all of the plants as I positioned them in their little holes. We have such high hopes for them.
Now the worries start. Despite our best watering efforts, some of the leaves died on the squash and other leaves turned a bit yellow. The tomatoes are struggling. We water plenty but we're not sure if the water is running down the planter box and not saturating the dirt around the roots. To top it off Jeff has spied a rat stalking our garden. I'm sure he's waiting for the crop as anxiously as we are.
I've thought a lot about faith as I watch the garden. I've forgotten my morning prayers a lot and to finish up the value I know I must remember my prayers for three weeks straight. I suppose it's a lot like watering these fellows. If we don't water, they die. If I don't pray, my faith won't grow. Pretty straight forward. The garden is reminding me to pray.
I'm hoping for more insights into faith as the garden continues to grow or not grow.
5 comments:
Thanks for the reminder. Maybe I should start a garden, or as least an herb or something, to remind me to pray more. I hope it all works out.
I love your garden!!! I wish I could have one...guess it would get scorched here in az. Your blog reminded me of dad,and how he would spend hours in his garden. I loved those fresh raspberries growing up. That was missing from your list, you have a lot of veggies but what about fruits? :)
We are having the same problems with our garden in the spare lot. I think we have to replant some squash and zucchini(or however you spell it). I think it is a learning process and someday we will have bountiful gardens with delish veges--hopefully this year, but if not, there is always next year...
I LOVE gardening and we are excited to get one going here. Good luck!! P.S. I love the new look on the blog :)
I kept putting off my garden until it was too late, and just decided to work on it next year. Perhaps that's what I'm doing with faith too?
Post a Comment