
It was the first official day of school here. Kristen and I spent the day at the beach with our preschoolers that don't go to preschool and our two year olds. Three wonderful families of friends just moved away this summer leaving Nicky clinging to Kedrick, one of her last friends. I'm going to have to start extending myself to new friends in her behalf. I don't know why but I hate making new friends. I would rather have one group of friends forever and I'd like them to live with me here by the beach.
For the last three years we've lived in San Diego the beach has been a favorite destination. I always loved it as a kid when my family would vacation in Southern California. I honestly never dreamed I'd live within a 15 minute range. It sort of ruins any beachy vacations we've been on because we already live with a beach practically in our back yard. I guess that is why I liked Nauvoo so much, no beach.
I wish the above pictures of the kiddies captured the sand in our toes, the children's giggles and squeals, the splashes and falls, the soft roar of the waves, and the rolling clouds and intermittent sunshine. No picture can ever capture the way the horizon and the water never quite touch. The sight of such vastness always leaves me breathless and sort of panicky if I sit and look at it too long.
So each week as I sit on the beach, I have to wonder if it is real life or if this is just a three or four year vacation. I mean this place sometimes feels too good to be true with its weather, beaches, and the perfectly manicured grass, shrubbery, and trees in my front yard.
Everything is perfect in the front yard but the problem is there is no back yard. My kids need a back yard to make mud pies, have a dog, cat, or (shoot me) a bunny rabbit. They need a fenced in area to run in the sprinklers and play hide and seek with friends. Nicky needs a quiet side walk where she can learn to ride a bike. Sadly, those are the things missing here in paradise. Actually, they aren't missing, they are just millions of dollars that we don't have away.
I think someday we will have to leave perfection and on to real life where there is normal weather with colds and hots and no beach. I don't think I'll mind too terribly because it will make beach vacations fun again. I'll smile when I see my kids enjoy their pets and time outside. I'll be happy when I don't have to be a millionaire to see them go to a good school.
Maybe Jeff and I will move back to S. D. when we retire and we'll join Getoffyourrocker.org. Yes, friends, there were 70+ old ladies boogy boarding at the beach today. I can't tell you how inspiring it was.
9 comments:
I love your beach adventures...we need to get together sometime at the beach. I love that Nicky can hold her own with Dallin...I think they would have a blast at the beach together. I love the idea of boogeyboarding when you're retired, I can totally see you guys doing that! I say continue to live it up in Paradise as long as you are here-your babies are beach babies-how cool is that?
Yes, we don't have a backyard either (not one that is our own), and I want one. Bad. I love the beach though. Sand pictures are the best. You guys are cute. Also, I hate making new friends too. Although, sometimes I feel like moving altogether and making new ones, because all of mine hate me sometimes. Ugh.
It's nice to have a beach so close by. We don't have those here but we have beautiful mountains and I end up spending a lot of time there. :) Oddly enough, I still don't really enjoy beach vacations. LOL
Wow. I am always wondering "I wonder what Melissa is doing now?" So what brought you to California? Rick finished school at Utah State and while we there he joined the Navy. He taught physics and electrical engineering in South Carolina and then switched commmunities in the Navy from Nucluear Power to Cryptology. I think I spelled both those words wrong. But anyways as a result we moved to Enland and lived there for three years. I loved it.
It's so great to hear from you and see pictures. You have two of the cutest kids I have ever seen.
love, Sharon
That looks like so much fun! I haven't taken my kids to the beach yet, we always just go to Disneyland the whole time we are in California. We are thinking about coming there in November. Where is a good beach for us?
Ha, those 70 year old ladies are awesome! That is inspiring. Now I had my taste of boogy boarding, I'm hooked! So much fun.
I miss you and Kristen SOOOO much!!! I am just like you. I love sticking around with just a few good friends forever.
The beach pictures were delicious. And your kids are so cute.
-Marie'
you did get a lot of cute pictures! What a great shot of the boogie boarding grannies. I don't think there is a greater acitivity for kids than spending the day at the beach (despite the clean-up afterwards). I can't believe how ready Nicky is to trade it in for her cat and bunny. She is so cute!
Okay, seeing those pictures of the beach made my heart ache! Oh, I miss the beach, I miss you guys, ay yay yay! Anyhoo, those pictures are darling AND please tell me you are moving to Utah. You are, right? In two years, I will buy a house next door...wouldn't that be fun!
Post a Comment