Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Prop 8

Seems we Mormons are fighting same sex marriage here in California. We had to enlist ourselves to walk door to door in a couple of Saturdays polling our neighbors as to how they will vote in November. Yikes! Why does this make me so uncomfortable?

As far as homosexuals are concerned, I don't personally care how they live and who they live with. I know this isn't the P.C. thing to say or think, but I did get the willies on a walk to the park the other day when I saw two 40ish women in a passionate kiss and lover's clench.

Does the gay community really need to call their unions marriage? Maybe just a civil union with all the accompanying benefits will do. It seems like the centuries old term marriage connotes a religious union between man and woman.

Homosexuality and all its glories is just way over my head. Though I don't understand it, I see and feel that it is very real to those living the life. These people have feelings, dreams, and good hearts. I don't want to be insensitive to them. I have my beliefs and values too and thought it is uncomfortable, I can't sit still and watch marriage become something different than what it should be.

It's just going to be awkward going door to door. I can already feel it. It would sure be nice to live in a nice conservative state around now.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

My parents had to go door to door when the last initiative came around. Yeah, awkward!

Tribe M said...

You still have time to move to Utah, and Kimberly and I will welcome you with open arms! That is uncomfortable. My mom is heading Prop 8 for the precinct. Call her for some rallying. I just wonder if the U.S. is so accepting about EVERYTHING how can we ever enforce laws and rules and what would ever be our limit?

Krustee said...

Kevin went last weekend and most people were fine but one lady called him a bigot and small-minded. I told him he should have said, "well who is calling names?" I don't think I am mature enough to canvas door to door though I'll feel like a heel if I don't.