Sunday, August 31, 2008

Don't Do It!

I had a bad week last week. I'll spare the details but suffice it to say I was in a foul mood. So when Jeff and I were going to a movie Friday night, I chose Tropic Thunder. Judge me for going to a rated R movie if you will, but I wanted to laugh. I'd heard it was funny and I couldn't wait for the side spitting laughter to wash away my sour week. I've seen probably three rated R movies in the last 6 years and I've been sorry every time. I think the only rated R I've seen where I wasn't bothered to some degree was Bridget Jones' Diary. It's probably that when the F word is spoken with a British accent it sounds quaint instead of foul.

I doubt I've seen many movies since we've had kids and it must be the reason I'm so innocent and sheltered. Tropic Thunder must have the F word within it over 10,000 times. Sadly, there was only one funny part where the guards at the POW camp force Ben Stiller to wear an old guy's false teeth for a forced play. Definitely not worth the onslaught of foul talk, however. And I thought Tom Cruise's part was the least funny of the whole thing. Could he talk and be any more despicable?

I was left to wonder if people really talk like this in the real word or do movies just portray this? If that's reality, I feel really sad. It doesn't feel nice and it sounds awful. The night of the movie I dreamed I was yelling at people using the F word. So the next morning, I swore again that I won't watch filthy movies that make me feel like I need to exfoliate both sides of my skin.

This morning I heard Jeff stub his toe and he used my favorite word. Reason two for not taking a spouse along to Tropic Thunder.

7 comments:

Cami said...

Holy Cow. That's crazy. We recently watched Knocked Up with our editing DVD and found out it had 113 F words. That is insane. EVERYONE said it in the movie. It was practically a silent film. I always say, doesn't it kind of lose it's poignancy after a couple times? I mean, wouldn't it be MORE effective if you only used it once?

Jake says people DO talk like that, but man, it would bug me.

Marie' said...

That is funny that you swore in your dream. Some of Scott's business school friends talked with lots of swear words, and it used to bother me a lot.

Kimberly said...

I feel bad you went to see that! You should have gone to see Mama Mia...that would have cheered you up for sure!

KellyDiane said...

Thanks for the warning, I was maybe a little tempted. I did watch Bridget Jones' diary last week for a good laugh though...that movie makes my tummy hurt it's so funny!

heather peck said...

o.k., freaky thing just happened! missy, go to my blog, click on your's and jeff's name and see what pops up....yes, you will see what i am talking about!!!

Tribe M said...

Ha Jeff! I am also easily influenced in my accidental expletives if I watch something not so good. So I try not to.

Krustee said...

my sister swears she has terrets. I give her a hard time about her swearing issues. Every once in a while I throw one out there for her cuz it just brings her so much joy. She is always impressed with how naturally it slips off my tongue. luckily my current life of toddlerhood is pretty sheltered.