Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bedtime Wars

Don't they look sweet? I can't imagine the pillow beneath them could be any softer or squishier than Andy's cheeks. It looks like he fell asleep with marshmallows in his mouth. I don't think anyone would guess that this plump, easy going guy has currently engaged us in a nightly psychological war. Some nights he lays down in that crib with his trains and his water and is out cold. That's if you get him down in the right window of time and if Nicky doesn't get up in the night and wake him. Keep him up too late or perform his nightly routine wrong, and I have no idea how long he could cry. For someone so mellow during daylight, I've always been surprised at the angry wails and everlasting hours of calls amidst tears for "Mama," or "Daddy," or "wader (water)."

I'm worried given Nicky was sleeping all night in her bed consistently long before she was 18 months and Andy is almost two. I would say two out of three nights he is sleeping all or part of the night with either Jeff or I because we are too tired to deal with his tantrums. The other problem is he gets sick all the time. Every time I feel like I have him sleeping in his bed well he gets a fever or has a runny nose or something that makes me feel sorry for him.

I've decided to make a Labor Day resolution and promise myself that he will be sleeping in his bed by the end of September...probably just in time to have it messed up by winter sickness and holiday travel. But one must keep trying.

I really shouldn't complain too much because I love my boy so much. There is really nothing else unpleasant to say about him. He's as loving as the day is long and so sweet to kiss.

Since I feel like I've written the same boring complainy blog about Andy's sleeping at least three times in the last couple of years and thought to write about it 100 more times, I'd like to now post some happy snippets from Nicky's nightly prayers:

"Thankful for Andy, Nicky, and Mommy and Daddy"

"Thankful for Butterball and Whitebud (the dogs she sleeps with whom she recently named herself) and for my baby dolls."

"Bless there won't be coyotes at Daddy's meeting" (this when Daddy had a meeting one night).

"Thankful for Penny, Sienna, and Chica" (she prays as if the neighborhood dogs belong to her).

Three year old prayers are so sweet

5 comments:

Cami said...

Those cheeks ARE delicious. Your kids are beautiful.

Marie' said...

Asha had similar difficulties, and instead of dealing with it, we bought a king bed. We were just loosing so much sleep. I think Asha was older than Andy, so Scott started to pray in the family prayer that Asha would be good and stay in her own bed until the sun was out. It was a small thing but it worked. About a year later, as we knelt down for prayer, Asha informed us that we didn't have to pray for her any more because she didn't need help staying in bed.

Kimberly said...

You poor thing! Night time woes are the worst!! I start feeling so crabby and icky after spending a few nights up with kids that don't sleep! Good luck with your new resolution!

KellyDiane said...

Love Nicky's prayers. They are adorable!

Krustee said...

Nicky's prayers are so cute! We finally resorted to scaring the crud out of Brock to get him to stay in bed. Kevin has to do it. I'm too big of a whimp. It sounds horrible, and it is, but he is finally staying in his bed.