Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'm Getting Old


Grandma Karen thoughtfully ordered the kids Christmas music CDs, personalized with their names sung right along in the songs. This gift suddenly put us in the market for a CD player. We've been putting off buying any sort of new musical devices because our computer doesn't cooperate with the IPod and we can't figure out why. I guess that means MP3 players and IPods have been around for over 7 years and we have yet to move ahead in technology. Sad!

Even more sad is my Costco purchase this morning and the level of glee it brought me. I've always held a fondness for the Japanese Hello Kitty and all her products. From her picture she just appears so collected, sweet, and polite. Some of my friends from Asia have similiar traits so I must like her because she reminds me of them. Anyway, back to Hello Kitty. This morning amongst the shelves in Costco I saw her likeness emblazoned on this adorably pink sound system. And, GASP, it even had a cassette player! My old Afterglow tapes could come out of hiding on Sundays! At first I thought I'd buy it for Nicky for Christmas but then I remembered she already has a lot of gifts. Then I remembered Jeff told me I don't have any gifts yet so I bought it for me.

When we got home I quickly tore off the packaging and inserted the CD. My fingers moved adeptly and familiarly along the buttons as easily as they might to find and turn on the kitchen light switch in the middle of the night. No need to read through large technical manuals (as I had to for my new cell phone recently). Just me and the same good old sound system from 1985 and it makes me happy. I guess if I needed more evidence I'm getting old, aside from the ever deepening wrinkles in my forehead, I just got it.

P.S. Thanks Grandma Karen for the CD. Nicky got a big smile on her face every time she heard her name come up in one of the songs. She listened all day.

5 comments:

Marie' said...

You are so cute! I didn't know you liked Hello Kitty. Did you know that Hello Kitty follows fashion trends? My sister told me they have hot pink and black, pink and brown, rock-n-roll, etc. I still like the traditional pink ones, but thought it was interesting.

Kimberly said...

That is so cute! I always loved Hello Kitty too! And, what a thoughtful grandma to send those cute kids personalized christmas songs with their names in it...too fun!

KellyDiane said...

Hahahahah I love that you are going to be using the tape player. So funny! I don't think I've touched a "tape" in ages!

Cami said...

Very fun! I'm glad you got it for yourself and are proud to say so.

Krustee said...

so funny. if i ever have a daughter i hope she likes hello kitty. i love the stuff.