After many typing hours, I've almost completed Grandma's journal. Among the writings of an elderly woman's monotonous days, I find nuggets of simple wisdom. I typed this entry a few days ago.
Thurs, July 29, 1982 (81 degrees [Rain last night.])
Dell came in for breakfast this morning. He didn’t see any breakfast nor any wife. He looked in the living room and all about the house. As a last resort he opened the bedroom door and found me sewing at the sewing machine. He said, “Thank goodness you are all right. I thought sure you were ill or something.” We know at our age we are lucky day by day to still be alive. We also appreciate each other more and more every day.
The night after I came across this entry I had a dream. I dreamed that Jeff and I were dating and we hadn't decided whether we would get married or not. He was in his last semester at BYU and I had just gotten a very nice technical writing job offer to go back East. I went to tell him that I was going away and found him in the computer lab. As I came closer to him I was overwhelmed with feelings of love and peace. I knew that we would get married and I wasn't going anywhere. Then I woke up.
I know I am not that old but I have learned in this life that almost nothing is permanent. You could lose anything you have at any moment, including your own life. On the other hand, you may not have something today but be fortunate to gain that something tomorrow or at some time in the future. I think the key is to appreciate every moment when you have something or someone you love. I know that I am lucky to have Jeff as my husband. It has always amazed me how simply being near him makes me peaceful and happy. Nobody else has ever made me feel that way. I am so glad and honored that he chose me to live the rest of his life with. I never want him to forget how lucky I feel that he is mine. I'm glad that Grandma reminded me of this lesson and I don't have to be 77 years old to put it into practice.
3 comments:
Beautifully said.
I agree!
So, I'm just thinking, what must her life have been like when her husband sees no breakfast and automatically thinks his wife must be dead! She was seriously on top of things!
Post a Comment