Monday, December 1, 2008

Tom Cruise's Book of Mormon

Since this is the month of gifts and giving, I want to write some posts about precious gifts. I always loved to read books and was an English major in college. I've read all kinds of books in all genres. I deem a book a great book if it evokes strong emotions within me and if those emotions and the story carry with me for days after I've finished reading. Some examples of books that did this to me are Wuthering Heights, Crime and Punishment, and the biography of the Dalai Lama (can't remember the name). Nothing that I've ever read comes close to being as great a book as the Book of Mormon. The sincerity of the voices and characters resonate so deeply with me that I could never question their authenticity. Reading the different accounts of miracles and tragedies is so personal that to me, it is akin to reading my own mother's journal. There is a selflessness in the writings making the authors' motive clear. The motive is simply to remind the reader of the frailty and forgetfulness inherent to human nature as well as bring the Savior Jesus Christ clearly into focus.

I haven't been reading my Book of Mormon as often as I ought. I've been rationalizing that when I'm busy I can just reflect on the stories and that is good enough. The other night I dreamed that I was in LA and I was looking for the Church of Scientology because I had to pick up a package. I ran into Tom Cruise at a park. I thought he might know the whereabouts of his church. Here is the conversation that ensued:

Me: "Do you know where the Church of Scientology is?"

Tom: "I don't go to that crazy church anymore so I can't tell you where it is."

(At this point I notice Tom has a copy of a blue Book of Mormon in his hands complete with someone's testimony hand written inside.")

Tom: "Did Joseph Smith write this?"

Me: "No, it was written by some ancient prophets that lived on the American continent. Joseph Smith was the translator."

(Tom makes a sarcastic smile and shoves the book onto a picnic table nearby. I didn't want to let that be the end of the conversation so I continued.)

Me: "You should take some time to read some of the book. It has amazing stories and could change your life or at the very least clear up any poor misconceptions you have about Mormons."

The dream faded away but a prominent feeling was left behind. I knew I'd said all the right things but I knew I hadn't been sincere. Since I haven't been reading the book as often as I should, I did not feel or portray a powerful testimony. Tom seemed to feel that and wasn't interested though he was very polite and extremely good looking. I felt so sad and disappointed in myself. The dream felt so real.

Since I had that dream, I've decided to cherish and read the book that reminds me of and therefore brings me nearest to the person I most want to be like, my friend Jesus Christ. During this Christmas season I feel so grateful to have the gift of the Book of Mormon in my life. It has always been the lighthouse in my life of stormy seas.

5 comments:

heather peck said...

totally cool dream, isn't it amazing what emotions and how motivating some dreams can be? your dream made me want to read my B of M a little deeper today!

Kimberly said...

What a funny dream! Can you imagine if you really ran into him and that happened? Maybe someday, right?!

KellyDiane said...

Funny Dream...I appreciate your posts! BTW...day two of biggest loser is quite difficult. I am so sore from lunges yesterday that I am finding it hard to get out the door to go run. Glad I have the motivation from you though!

Cami said...

Very interesting. Missionary work in your sleep. We know what you're thinking about!

Krustee said...

Ya know, it just takes different things to motivate people and God speaks to us all in our own language, be that a lesson at church or a dream about Tom Cruise...your dream totally made me laugh.