Jeff and I lived with my mom about seven years ago before she got severely sick. Every Sunday she whipped up good cake brownies from a recipe in her mind. I wish she'd written it down because they sound so good today. I doubt I could replicate on the fly.
We've lived in Sacramento almost 6 months but we still have some Sundays where Jeff and I get homesick. I don't know if I'm homesick for San Diego, Utah, or just my mom that always smelled good and her brownies. Do you ever feel like you are missing something but you're not sure what? Every so often I do but I'm not sure what I'm after. We certainly love our home and the friends we are starting to meet here. So why the melancholy?
5 comments:
That's normal. Six months is not long enough for those "roots" we crave. It will come though! Plus, there's nothing a good pan of brownies won't fix, now I want some too :)
Oh my gosh I miss those dry brownies! Why did we not have her write her secret recipe down!!! I get those strange cravings once a year, dang her! :)
I think it is a testament to how you love and are loved by people. It has been almost two years, and Scott and I still talk about the people we love from past wards. Those people made who we are, and I can't think of us without them.
Scott's mom has this dry cake-like browny she has been making for years and years. I don't know if it is what your mom made, but it could be close. Here is the recipe.
1C butter
2C sugar
4 eggs
2t vanilla
2C sifted all purpose flower (sift and then measure)
3/4C cocoa,sifted (measure and then sift)
1t baking powder
1/2t salt
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Bake in greased and floured 9 by 13 pan for 30 minutes on 350.
It is tastes great with chocolate frosting too.
Yay, I finally got your blog site switched over. I agree with Marie's comment. I wish I could bring you over some brownies :)
Post a Comment