Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Surprise for a Friend

I'm feeling nervous today. I sent a Book of Mormon to my friend in San Diego in the mail yesterday. It's been a long time coming. This is a good friend of mine who would often accompany me to church activities and Enrichment nights. She has a complicated religious situation at home. She was brought up Methodist and her husband was raised Jewish. Neither have been religious during their married life and that's how they make their marriage work. She often tells me she is not interested in religion and even if she were, it would mess up her marriage too much.
My Book of Mormon went with a personal note. I told her that I didn't want to offend her with my gift. I said the reason I sent it along is because it is so precious to me and it would be an honor to me if she kept it with the other books in her home. I told her if it was offensive to her or her husband, I will happily take it back. This is the first time I've gifted a Book of Mormon ever. It is scary. With some of my experiences with friends, my only hope is that she doesn't stop speaking to me. Regardless, my friend is going to have a surprise in the mail sometime around tomorrow. It's not something she's expecting.
For some reason I just felt like it was time she have a copy. I don't have any expectations. I've been praying that she receives it in the Spirit it was intended. If any of you want something extra to pray about, I would sure appreciate a prayer that my friend will accept my gift.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I will definitely say a prayer for your friend :) Melisaa, I admire you for doing what you felt impressed to do. It's not always easy when it comes to sharing something so personal. I think what you wrote was perfect. I've met your friend and don't believe that she will be offended. She will be touched that you thought enough of her to send it and share your testimony with her regardless of whether she acts on it or not. You are a wonderful friend :)

Jen and her men said...

Go Melissa! That's awesome! Way to be brave and follow through on those promptings. :) I'll add her to my prayers too.

KellyDiane said...

you are an example to me missy. I've wanted to do the same thing with my friend and have been too scared. I think that's awesome.