Thursday, March 11, 2010

Suffer the Little Children...

There is a good reason why Nicky appears in all of Christian's pictures, she's always there. I never anticipated the current problem we're having. Nicky loves Christian so much that she can't focus on anything else when he's around. This wouldn't be problem except that she's not necessarily safe with him. It's weird, she knows he's a little human but it's like he's a doll to her too. For example, I catch her shoving her hands under his neck when he's laying down. She loves to undress him, pull his socks off, change his diaper, put soap in his eyes in the bath, heft him, squeeze him, pry his little hands open, and I could go on believe me. She gives a big laugh for his laughing and strangely, for his crying. She also runs in when he's crying and climbs into the crib with him and stuffs his pacifier in. This is really annoying as I've been trying to sleep train.

Nicky was a problem when Andy was a baby because she was 18 months old and liked to bite. Andy was often the recipient of a toe nibble or an eye poke. I carried that fat stinker for a year. It's worse now though. I can carry Christian but Nicky's taller and grabs Christian's feet when I'm holding him. She also has bigger girl feelings I know I need to protect.

I know she loves the baby and I'm witnessing the first buds of motherly instincts emerging. It just gets really pesky when it's all day long. I feel like this obsession Nicky has for the baby is hurting the relationship I have with her. I feel like I get after her all day long to be gentle, to let go, or be soft. I tried to institute times where Nicky can hold Christian supervised but it doesn't seem to satiate her insatiable desire for him.

I just want Nicky's feelings and the baby to be safe. Is there any way the two can happen at once?

4 comments:

SuburbiaMom said...

She's old enough to understand what kind of behavior is acceptable. Talk to her about what she can do with the baby (and when). And talk to her about the consequences of breaking these baby rules. Maybe just standing in the corner or going to her room for a few minutes. As long as you are consistent at following through, she will learn! Good luck!

Lisa said...

I agree with Kiersten :)

KellyDiane said...

It is cute how much she likes little Christian...but wow, you do have your hands full!

Skinner Family said...

I relate! Bailey loves Reagan, but she doesn't understand that she has to be gentle. We have had biting, hitting, pinching and a few toys thrown at the baby. I have to be on my guard at all times. Clay finally put my playpen up in the livingroom and found a cover for it, so Reagan can be safe, and I can get something done. The frustrating part is that Bailey really doesn't get it, and I don't know when/how she ever will. We just have to be real careful and love both girls. Good luck, Nicky sounds so much like my Beau :)