Sunday, January 25, 2009

Graham Crackers in the Night


Jeff's been so busy with work the past few weeks that there's been a scarcity of time available for talking. I made a call to my mom's rest home and got the word that she is in tears most of the time. The nurse is going to talk to the doctor about getting some different anti-depressants for her to help make her more "cheerful." So I've been bawling about that because what do the tears mean? Nobody knows. She can't tell anyone. Is she aware and traumatized because she finds herself in a rest home and can't communicate? Is she in pain? Is the emotional part of her brain simply messed up from the disease? Knowing there are tears going on in the rest home just does not sit well with me since I am 1,000s of miles away and can't give the poor woman a hug.

So anyway, last night I'm finally getting a chance to talk to Jeff about my woes and practice my Sacrament meeting talk on the Godhead (by the way, thanks to whoever chose that topic for me), when Andy wakes up and yells in a sleepy whine that he wants a graham cracker. Those of you who know Andy know he is a laid back guy. These days, however, he is extremely passionate about graham crackers. If I'd let him, he'd go through one of those big Costco four packs of Honey Maids in a week. So we did the thing I do most nights he calls for graham crackers in the middle of the night, I told him no. He followed the usual pattern of crying and acting like he would to die, so I gave him a small piece and left the room. I wasn't even sure if he was really awake. About twenty seconds elapsed, a wail came from the room and these words, spoken in agony:

"I WANT A BIG ONE!"

I went and gave him the full rectangle. Andy does not tolerate broken graham crackers. He wants all four little rectangles intact. In fact, the other day he was walking around with a graham cracker and tripped and broke it and refused to eat it because it was in three pieces instead of one. I had to get a full rectangle from the package and discard the three perfectly edible parts of his previous cracker. I mean it is just typical two year old behavior but so funny for Andy because he just does not get worked up about anything.

The whole thing makes me laugh because I was trying to be so melancholy and dramatic and enjoy adult conversation. All was interrupted by the half asleep graham cracker tyrant. I guess I'll need to wash his sheets to get out the crumbs. I also need to say no to him next time or find a good dentist. If he keeps up his nocturnal snacking, the hygenist is going find a dentist's gold mine of decay at his next cleaning.

6 comments:

Cami said...

HA! It's like his binky! We finally had to say no food in rooms because the kids were constantly asking for food at night.

Sorry about your mom. I hope she is more "cheerful" soon.

Marie' said...

Andy is so funny.
Sorry about your mom. I hope she will fell happy again, soon.

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

Graham Crackers are addicting. I find myself eating way to many if I have an opened package. I didn't know Andy was born premature. I had wondered at times if he was, from some of your other blog entries. I imagine you went through the same thing we did. The twins were born about the same time. Seven weeks early

myspoileddogs said...

Cute!

KellyDiane said...

LOL that is so funny "I want a big one" love it. \And the hygienist in me was thinking the whole time...Andy's poor teeth!!!!

Krustee said...

Nothing like a midnight scream for graham crackers to go with your adult conversation. So funny about Andy and the demand for the unblemished graham. A purist.