Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mysterious Pains

Nicky is up late for the third night in a row with mysterious foot pain. I say mysterious because there has been no injury and there appears to be no swelling or redness. Strangely enough the pain is mild to non-existent in the day but is excruciating at night. Dr. Ou made the diagnosis of, "growing pains" over the phone. So we will watch how things progress over the next few days. At tucking in time there is much kicking off of covers, face scrunchings and contortions, and screamings of, "ohhhh my feet hurt." So far the pain is not remedied by Motrin, a heating pad, or a hot soak in the tub. When left in her bed with the heating pad wrapped around her feet, the following dramatic utterings have been overheard,

"They hurt so bad and I don't know why they hurt."

"The heating pad made them sweaty, but they still hurt."

"I'll lay here, but if it doesn't work, I don't know what to do!"

"I don't know why growing should hurt so much."

"They just really hurt, I'm telling the truth."

and my favorite,

"I just have a Joseph Smith leg." (She heard the story about Joseph Smith's infected leg and operation on Sunday).

Now she is behind me telling me that I must color my page in her Hello Kitty coloring book. This after she informed me that we would eat our popcorn on the couch so as not to make crunch, crunch, crunch noises in her room and wake Andy. She is humming happily and coloring Hello Kitty. "Mommy, I am waiting for you to find the crayons, please," she says. Puzzling condition!

5 comments:

Cami said...

Growing pains! They are not fun. It feels like it hurts in your bones.

Also, she may have bruised her foot badly. Jeffy did once, and we went to the ER and got X-rays. There was no outward sign, but it was a serious injury. He couldn't walk for a week.

myspoileddogs said...

Growing pains sounds like it sux. Hope little nicky feels better soon!

Jen and her men said...

Does it have anything to do with your foot injury a little while ago? Mysterious pains are no fun. Neither are the ER visits to "discover" the problem (or in our case, lack of problem). Kids are great, aren't they? Good thing they are so darn cute!

Kimberly said...

I don't ever remember having growing pains, but Devon does. Our kids, in fact, complain all of the time at night about body aches and pains. To me it is the strangest thing, but it is obviously real (and painful) to them. Crazy stuff!

Krustee said...

this is so bizarre. I love the Joseph Smith leg comment though. Too funny!