I won't soon forget the memories made in the rest home or the quiet nights in Mom's old room. The worst thing about losing a loved one is the silence it creates both on the inside and outside. I was getting ready for bed one night in Mom's old bathroom and was overwhelmed with tears of missing. We had just gotten back from a rest home visit where Mom had lost her pants while exchanging clothes with her friend Lori (Mom's friend with dementia). Mom was walking down the hallway wearing nothing on the bottom but a blanket. She was quickly detained and dressed by staff member. However, after witnessing this crazy behavior and realizing that the rest of my mother's life will be spent wandering a 45 foot locked hallway in the midst of people 20 years her senior, I was in a bad way.
I got down on my knees and prepared to ask for comfort. Instead, the words I began to utter were those of gratitude. I remembered and said thanks for all the good things. For example, I liked the way Mom's down feather pillow smelled like musky springtime and how her cheeks were as soft as her pillow when I gave her a kiss. I loved the way she smiled and laughed and they way she picked up objects with her big long toes. I was grateful for the time when I was in 9th grade when Mom and I read East of Eden by John Steinbeck together. We weren't getting a long too well and that simple experience seemed to bridge the gap. Sometimes we'd read together and sometimes alone but we always talked about what we'd read. She told me not to read one part because it was too sexy so I stole away to my room and read it anyway. I also expressed gratitude for Mom's example of faith in prayer. Her prayers in my behalf were so sincere and heartfelt that I can't help but believe they had the power to pull down the very angels in heaven to watch over me.
After the prayer, I laid down in bed, her old bed, and watched as the moonlight streamed through the small rectangular window over the french doors. The soft blue light touched on Mom's yellow lamp making the little glass prisms dance with sparkles. The raw and silent emptiness in me was comforted a little both by the gratitude prayer and the personal light show.
It was also comforting just to be home. It was below 20 degrees our last few days in Utah. San Diego, with her sunshine and balmy breeze blowing against my cheeks, embraced me and my aching heart in her warmth and palm tree framed greenness like a welcoming old friend with familiar arms. And my feet no longer feel like five-toed ice blocks. Life can go on.
10 comments:
It sounds like it all turned out to be a positive experience for you. Lovely thoughts.
And 20 below?? What in the world is that about?? Sheesh!
No, not 20 below...like 15 degrees most of the last two days.
I am glad you are safely home. Did sunny San Diego cheer you up? Scott and I have been working on some projects, and we are noticing that all the pictures from San Diego are bright and we look so happy.
dang I am jealous of you in sunny san diego. It's finally above freezing here in Utah today.
I missed seeing you while you were here but was happy I got to visit with Jeff for a while!
dang I am jealous of you in sunny san diego. It's finally above freezing here in Utah today.
I missed seeing you while you were here but was happy I got to visit with Jeff for a while!
hey missy, glad you made it home safe and well, i am so sorry for what you went through up here, man, it is so crazy what life dishes up for ya at times, but i was glad to read that you seemed to handle it well with gratitude instead...i am glad you guys came over for a haircut, it was good to talk. take care.
Melissa, sounds like your trip was filled with joy and sorrow...I am so sorry for what you are going through with your mom, I can't even imagine the pain you must feel at times, but what an example you are to me of thankfulness and gratitude. What a blessing to have those wonderful memories of your mom.
So now that you guys are back we definitely need to get together. I am sorry about not getting together over the holidays, I think our holiday vacations overlapped as they often do. And what is this...you guys are moving to Sacramento, is that what I read? We need to get together soon so that we get the scoop!! Happy New Year
I am so glad you are back! The sledding looks so fun and wow, what a lot of snow! I really cannot imagine what it must be like to watch your Mom go through this. Your prayer reminded me of that conference talk where the general authority asked the person giving the prayer to only express gratitude and they had just had a close friend die. In my most difficult times, the Lords answer to me has often been, "express gratitude." It is amazing what it does.
I wish I was as good at keeping up on my bog as you are. As you saw, I haven't posted in a week. My goal is to post something this weekend - we'll see. We might be coming to L.A. and San Diego this spring, if we do I will let you know. It would be fun to get together.
Melissa, I am so impressed with your thoughts and your ability to share your feelings as you go through this experience with your Mom. It lifted me to read your experience of those "tender mercies" we receive at difficult times.
Post a Comment