On Sunday, because of her tears, I sat with my girl all through her first Sharing Time and primary class. It was entertaining. I watched the three year olds almost succeed in making the teacher, song leader, and Primary President crack. I heard, "sit down," "shhhhh," "wait your turn," "be reverent" so many times I had to smile. I admire anyone in primary. Nicky announced loudly during her teacher's lesson that, "primary is getting very long!" When asked at home how she liked primary she said, "I don't like primary very much. I like nursery very much and the toys."
I've been trying to expose Nicky to more opportunities to strengthen her against her anxiety. This morning she was mad because Andy wouldn't dress like a princess with her. I told her we'd invite her friends Elle and Olivia over for a princess tea party but they might want to invite her over to their house for a playdate in a few days.
She got really serious and said, "I've already been to their house for Olivia's birthday party so I don't need to go again."
"They might feel bad if they come to your house and you won't go to theirs. They have lots of fun toys at their house and I'll come right back to get you after an hour."
"But Mommy, I just really, really like you. I don't want to go to their house."
"Sometimes it's good to have a break from Mommy because you might get sick of me."
"No Mommy, I will never get sick of you. I just really, really, really like you."
How do I argue with that? I feel flattered. She is the first person to ever say such. Wait, I think Jeff may have said something similar when we were engaged. I haven't heard him say it lately. I guess instead of worrying, I'll just enjoy this while it lasts.
6 comments:
How cute is that? I understand your frustration too, though. Asha had a hard time going to nursery. An older lady in the inner city branch we attended told me it was my fault because I was babying her. She went on to tell me that I have to toughen her up by putting her in day care. I was so mad. The last place I would put my kids would be in a daycare in downtown Philly. I thought it was the opposite. She needed the extra love and attention, and I was giving it to her by staying home and being a good mom.
You have the right attitude, Melissa.
That's sooo cute! She does need to learn to go out on her own though! Cute that she's so attached though.
What a sweetheart. Taylor started showing signs of anxiety like that after Blake was born. It was weird. All of a sudden she started freaking out when she didn't know where I was in the house, etc. It lasted for awhile and drove me crazy. I realized once she became accustomed to our routines and familiar with places and when and where I was going to take her then she was ok. Anyway, long story short...she is finally over it...I think. Something to do with first grade and riding the bus? Anyway, you are such a cute mom and at least she likes you and it's not the other way around, right?! Who knows what the teenage years will unfold... ha ha!
How sweet!!!! Some days I miss those days but then one of my teenagers will tell me they love me or thank me or ask me if I'm chaperoning or can I please come to this and it takes me right back. :D
Jeffy goes through these times. I ask if he wants a playdate, he's excited, I tell him he gets to go to his friend's house (which we go to like 3 times a week) and he gets all sad and asks if I'm going to stay with him and stuff. He doesn't do it now, but it may crop up again. Very silly. Hopefully she'll get over it. At least you know she likes you!
Nicky is so sweet. I remember hearing her say how she "just likes you so much" on the day she didn't want to come to my house and it was just so sweet. Phooey to all the nonsense about toughening up your kids of course unless they are like 35 and have still never left home.
Post a Comment