Friday, June 19, 2009

My Driver's License

Take a moment to imagine with me, if you will, a day when you left the house to run errands looking ugly. Let's say you'd had your first new baby the week before and the shower was not your friend. Sleep was not your friend as the baby was either awake in the night or you were awake worried that the baby was going to wake. A mandatory trip to the DMV was in order the ugly day morning because the DMV required some signatures. You were finally getting your new California driver's license. Thank goodness they'd already taken the D.L. picture a few months before. At least you didn't have to worry about THAT. You were still carrying those lovely extra 15 postpartum pounds so you slid on the largest t-shirt you could find. The color was not your best color -- pumpkin orange. As you tried to ready yourself in the bathroom the baby screamed so you decided to screw putting on makeup or doing something with your oily hair. You grabbed the baby, car seat, and the 20 pound baby bag loaded with crucial baby outing paraphernalia.

At the DMV you hear bad news. Your picture was misplaced and a new picture is needed. You smile and look into the camera hoping that your mirror that morning was wrong and somehow the picture will make things right. It doesn't.



You spend the next four years cringing every time you're asked to show identification at the library, the airport, Blockbuster, etc. When you notice the double glances made at the picture and then at you, you want to explain that blond hair looks brown when it's oily. You're only consolation is knowing that 2009 will eventually bring a new license and a new picture. You even plan to get your hair professionally styled this time just to make up for your former driver's license's ugly portrayal.

Imagine your horror when the DMV simply sends a renewal form. Conveniently, there is no need to stop by the DMV. Your new driver's license shows up in the mail -- same picture and new expiration date -- 2014. I think there's a lesson in here somewhere. I think I might bawl.


5 comments:

Marie' said...

That is so funny, Melissa!!

I have a good one to share. One of the DMV ladies here is VERY mean and moody. Everybody knows her too. I got her at the counter when I had to renew at 9 months pregnant back when I lived here years ago. She asked me how much I weigh, and I said "Well, I weigh 180 because I am about to have this baby, but I usually weigh..." She went ahead and put 180 on it. Isn't that just mean?

Lisa said...

Ha!Ha!Ha! Melissa you gave me my first laugh of the day and I'm still smiling. Then to top it off I laughed even more when I read Marie's comment :) Thanks girls!!!

Shelly said...

so sad! so, so sad.

Cami said...

Oh dear. No fun. I am about to get my UT liscence, so I'll take note.

SuburbiaMom said...

At one of the DMVs we went to in Seattle, a few years ago, they actually have hidden scales at the counters---they know when your were really fudging it on your weight. That sucks!

Sorry about your photo identity. Does anyone have a good license picture? Anyone?