Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Accusations

Nicky turns five on Saturday. She was a high strung baby and a temperamental toddler. She was prone to mood swings and fits of high pitched crying. There was abuse with her teeth both to herself and others almost as soon as the teeth appeared. In the last year, however, I've noticed her mellowing. She is sweet, vibrant, full of unique ideas, and very artsy. She loves to be read to. I already read her juvenile reader books. She snuggles up and can listen to any book for as long as I'm willing to read. She loves to giggle and has an enthusiasm for babies that is unmatched (I've written on this before). It's been gratifying to watch her personality mature and to watch who she really is unfold.

However, Nicky is still Nicky. There are still moments where her passion unveils itself and now it is even funnier because she has a vocabulary. I took the kids to Target today and she acted terrible. I told Nicky and Andy they could both have one item for a dollar. So she chose a headband and Andy chose a green squooshy light thing. The rest of the time, Nicky tried to negotiate a second toy or a more expensive toy until finally, at the checkout, I told her she could have nothing because she'd acted so whiny and spoiled. This sent her into fits of rage so much so that when we got to the car she got out of her seatbelt while the car was going. We got it figured out and at home, the following was said amidst the fits of tears and wails:

"You like for me to get headechs!" (headaches...it's just so funny because she says it wrong).
"Now snot is coming out and getting all over. You like to clean up more messes!"
"I just want you to love me."
"You're making me cry so much that I'm getting a tummy ache. You like it when I get stomach aches!"
"I just want to stop crying. It's hurting my throat. Why are you making me cry?"

Today I was very calm with her but still all these accusations. I told her she couldn't get anything at the grocery store if she acts spoiled and whiny. I told her I love her so much that I don't want her to grow up that way. Still, it hurts to hear those things even when they are a little funny. I hope doesn't grow up thinking I don't love her. She says it when she's mad but I just figure kids say those things. I always make sure to tell her the reason I discipline or deprive is because I do love her and want her to grow up with good values and behavior.

4 comments:

Marie' said...

It is pretty funny when someone else's kid is saying those things:) I think you are doing great! There are many "big spirit trapped in a little body" type kids in Scott's family, and they all remember when their parents talked to them firmly, but with love.

Shelly said...

Keep it up. You're on the right track, firm, unwavering, she will appreciate that stability. And you follow up with love.

SuburbiaMom said...

Oh, what fun when they are so vocal!! Kindergarten will be a welcome change for both of you, I believe... :)

Anonymous said...

I tell you that sounds just like Dallin-even the funny yet heart piercing accusations. These "chosen" generation children saved for these latter days sure give us a run for our money.