Friday, July 25, 2008

Just the Two

One of the girls in the ward brought a sister-in-law to beach day this last Tuesday. This girl was trying to get to know me better and asked if I had any kids playing in the water. I said no and she said, "oh, so you just have the two?" I love the word "just." It seems to come across as since I don't have four kids like everyone else, I am somehow getting off easy.

I've noticed this comment more often lately and others such as the gentle nudge-like phrases at church, "Andy isn't so little anymore, it's your turn for a new baby." Since Nicky mauls everyone's babies, "Nicky would love a little baby around the house."

I don't think people are trying to be rude so much as just curious (though I'm not that curious about others' reproductive schedules so it is a mystery to me).

So for the curious, here are some though not all of the answers to why we have "just two" around here:

With the purchase of this horribly huge Island of Sodor train table, there is no room for anyone else in the second bedroom. Unless of course anyone knows of a train table with a little trundle. I'm actually surprised that the kids have room to get in their own beds. Though it may seem large, this awful item has served to entertain the kids non-stop for days. Andy is especially in love and makes choo choo noises and sleeps with all the trains.

The other problem is that with Andy's 4:30 to 5:30 wakeups in the morning, I am pretty much feeling like I could do this all day myself. Way too tired for more babies.

Also, Jeff is trying to figure out how one could fit three car seats/boosters in the back of his work Ford Taurus. We can use the car for work and and personal driving and it gets free gas. When he figures out the mystery he will give permission for more babies. Anybody have any answers so we don't have to have "just two" forever?

5 comments:

Krustee said...

Being a "just two-er" myself, this post made me laugh! I like that you haven't moved onto number three yet. I would feel behind. Why do I feel behind when other people have children? There is something wrong with me. Kevin is good at reminding me that we need to do what is best for our family. I think full nights of sleep on a regular long-term basis is a prerequisite for having another child. :) Love the train table pic. I thought I was crazy when I brought one home for Kedrick and shoved it into the boys tiny room at our last apartment but it actually worked out great and entertained them so much I never cared about not seeing one square inch of floor space.

Tammy said...

Hahaha, church people always crack me up with those comments! Andy still is a baby kinda. He is still in diapers too. I agree with the last comment. Whatever is right for your own family be it 1 kid or 10 kids and spread apart with whatever works for you is best. Silly silly people. But man oh man would I love for Emma to play with one toy for even ten minutes and not get bored like Andy and Nicole. It's ok I love my tazmanian devil. Any by the way I think you are in for a mini van with number 3.

Kimberly said...

Gosh, in this world, most people only want you to have 2 kids. I think you've done your duty! Too bad you don't have you're own Edward to make you immortal...then, you really wouldn't have to have anymore kids.

By the way, I truly am hoping that I have my own adventure, here in CC. I don't know if it will involve being chased by vampires, but at this point, I don't really care...I just need something to look forward to and something exciting!

myspoileddogs said...

Two would always be my max........But I could have 5 dogs and be happy :)

Anonymous said...

Missy,
JUST WHAT!!! I loved this post... When people ask me why I am not married I tell them that I decided to buy a boat instead... What a world we live in.
Hugs,
Jamie