Sunday, July 27, 2008

Missionaries for Dinner


Living in San Diego is different than living in Utah. In addition to experiencing four seasons without snow, I also experience monthly dinners with the missionaries and my neighbors are not Mormon.

I think San Diego is not an especially easy place to serve a mission. Generally, the population here is happy with their religion whether or not they attend church or practice. People are mostly financially well off and are also involved in numerous activities. In my experience, not many are looking for a church to join and they don't feel anything is missing in their life.

Enter the Mormon missionaries. There have been a wide array of young men wearing missionary badges eat at my table over the past few years. Some are eager to excite the members (us) into missionary work, some are quiet, some like to talk about their girlfriends or what they will do when they get home. Some look happy and some look bored. And I love all of them. I don't know what it is but I feel so much admiration for their sacrifice. Day after day they do the same thing and get little outcome. I don't blame them for the wide array of emotions they display. I know their mission is hard.

I have never been on a mission and so lack the confidence in approaching friends and neighbors with my beliefs. Though I want to find my way to be a missionary. Lately, my love for the missionaries and my love for the gospel has enveloped my heart. I keep having daydreams about finding someone for them to teach. I daydream about bringing a friend to church. I imagine the joy they would find there as they listen to the beautiful music and hear uplifting talks and feel the peaceful and warm feelings I experience at church. Most of all it would truly bring such happiness to know that someone found the Savior. He is so kind and loving and is waiting for each person to find him.

So far I haven't aided the missionaries in finding someone to teach, but I hope I do someday. For some reason it is something urgent that is in my thoughts all the time. I'll let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Krustee said...

You inspired me and I finally signed up to feed the missionaries! Way to be an example. I'm sure you have a wonderful missionary experience waiting right around the corner. I can't wait to hear about it. And I agree with you, it would be challenging to serve a mission in an area where so few are open to talking about religion.

Cami said...

Man, every time I sign up to feed the missionaries, a disaster happens. I told that to the sisters once when they came to my house and took a pen to my calendar (seriously) but they put themselves down for a day anyway. What should happen but my ceiling fell in that day from a leak in a pipe. See? They took their pizza I handed them at the door, said they were sorry for doubting me, and never bugged me again.

I think the missionary work is hard here too. I am not very good at getting to know my neighbors, so why would I have a chance to talk to them about religion? We have a few times, but nothing great. I need to do better.

Kimberly said...

You are so good. I always get anxious about having the missionaries over because they put us on the spot for finding someone to teach the gospel to.

Marie' said...

You are always such an inspiration! I love having the missionaries over, but I had been a little tired of trying to make conversations with one too many self absorbed missionaries. But then, I got to thinking... I only have ten years to get Jerome ready. I have a lot of work to do.