Saturday, July 19, 2008

Memories Evoked by Wedding Invites

Tomorrow, July 20th, marks the 6th anniversary of our marriage. It may also mark the 39th anniversary of Neil Armstrong walking on the moon (depending on whether you believe any of those conspiracy accounts). Anyhow, as I was going through the only scrapbook I ever made (my wedding album), I came across our wedding invitation. I laughed at all the good and bad memories it evoked. Yes Kelly, one can have bad memories and/or experiences even when one is engaged. So here are some of the favorites:
  • We tried to keep within budget on wedding expenditures by hiring my brother Gregg for free to take our engagement photos. He took a bunch at Sundance and then as we were driving home, we decided on a whim to head up to Rock Canyon in Provo. As he took the picture, the sun was just setting making it look like we were sitting behind a cozy fireplace in the sky. When I saw the proofs, I chose this one because of the sunset and because I didn't look fat. The shot is from the neck up. Perfect!
  • I anguished over how my divorced parents' names should appear on the invitation. I looked around at other invitations. Should I put Dad's wife Linda's name next to my dad's? His marriages were averaging one year life spans. Jeff's parents went together as, "Sanford and Karen Camacho." I ended up putting "Parents of the Bride (Bruce Peck sans Linda[separate line], MaraDee Peck [separate line]." Man, this divorce stuff sure makes writing wedding invitations ridiculous. I never understood why it wasn't polite just to put the two of them together on one line without risking confusion or offenses. I mean they got along well enough once to have me in the first place. I was a joint effort so why the seperateness on the invite.
  • I forgot to put the time for the Dublin open house on the insert card. I didn't notice my oversight in the proof. I mailed the cards out that way. To fix the mistake, we had to re-mail stupid looking brown invitation cards that didn't even match my purple theme. In the mean time I got a trillion e-mails mentioning my mistake and asking what time the open house started.
  • After most of the wedding invitations were sent out, I found out I hadn't put enough postage on them by 10 cents. My fears were that they would all get sent back or worse, someone told me that the postman can ask the recipient for 10 cents to give them the piece of mail. My sister Suzi was really mean and told me that she got her invitation in the mail but had to give the mailman 10 cents. After a few minutes she told me she was just kidding but it about gave me a major panic attack. I mean, people would have thought us the worst cheapskates if they had to pay 10 cents to get their invitation. Luckily the Postal Service didn't notice my oversight and delivered all the invitations.
  • And for my favorite memory...Jeff was given the assignment to mail the invitations after I put them all in envelopes and addressed them. Three days later, I asked him something in passing about the invites and he admitted he had just sent them that very day; meaning he held on to them for three days wondering if he should send them or not. This was five weeks before our wedding! Luckily by the time our wedding day rolled around, Jeff was on board for marriage. I am so glad you decided to send the wedding invitations out my sweet J. These last 6 years have been the happiest of my life. Luckily engagement doesn't last forever. It pretty much sucked for me.

P.S. If you haven't read the blog post below this one, please do. I don't want to take away the importance of that post by covering it up with a new one.

7 comments:

Cami said...

Happy Anniversary! What a roller coaster. I had invite issues too. We printed them 3 times. Ugh.

myspoileddogs said...

Congrats on 6 years!! I think everyone has issues when planning a wedding!!

KellyDiane said...

Yes, I always love mentions of me in your blog (sarcasm). Ohhh your wedding...my favorite memory would have to be the dual duties I performed that day. Between table bussing and videotaping, I was one busy servant :). Can't wait for your turn!!!! But I'll let you wear flip flops to mine without any mention :) Congratulations on your six year anniversary! I can't believe it's been that long.

KellyDiane said...

You should post pictures of your wedding day, would be fun to see again!

Tribe M said...

I can't believe Jeff did that! If it makes you feel better, I think Lance is still deciding. Haha. Time goes by so quickly!

Kimberly said...

I laugh every time I think about your roller coaster engagement!! Hey, it could have been worse...you could have ended up marrying the ski-date guy! AND, you could have gone skiing for your honeymoon. Hahaha! Good thing you married Jeff. Now you have someone to share your text pictures with (wink wink)!

Krustee said...

Happy Late Anniversary!! The time goes so fast. Loved reading your stories. Laughed and laughed about Jeff and mailing the invites. It really is miraculous that any of us end up married. Cute engagement photo.