Friday, June 26, 2009

The Good, Bad, and Ugly


Let's go with the good news first. We're having a baby boy! It's perfect. We're already in boy mode what with having a boy recently and, if Andy doesn't lose his obsession for Thomas the Tank Engine, he'll have someone to play trains with him shortly. I can't get enough of Andy and his fatness so I can't wait to see this new one's kissable cheeks. Nicky was disappointed. We both had dreams of miniature frilly dresses and pink hair bows. I can't lie. (Boys aren't quite as fun to dress.) She got over her disappointment quickly and was seen "practicing" caring for her boy baby doll Andy before bed tonight. There may be other good news. The ultrasound technician, with her pursed lips, was a stickler for rules and wouldn't reveal any particulars about the general health of the baby. She did hint that the placenta was not in the wrong place this time. If true, this will come as a huge relief. Maybe I can even forget that something called a placenta exists. That word is so wrong in the first place. Who enjoys thinking on it or its complications? Anyway, there he is in his picture up there. The picture is not the greatest I know. The technician wasn't generous with her photography either. I hope he's better looking than Skeletor when he arrives. I'll love him either way.
Now for the somewhat bad news. I read apartment reviews on the Millazzo one night just for kicks. I found myself in tears after devouring the 100+ negative posts. I have such a good imagination that when I see that stabbings and robberies have occurred on the premises, I immediately have myself and the children home alone when a knife weilding someone breaks into the apartment... I even went so far as to wonder if the intruder were a rapist, would he be interested in a pregnant woman? So poor Jeff had to deal with finding alternate living arrangements less than a week before we are supposed to move. (Luckily we had not signed a contract.) Fortunately we found something better, cheaper, and a month-to-month contract. I got the money order at the bank to pay the first month's rent and deposit and we signed the contract. Nicky is excited because the new place has four swimming pools and hot tubs. Andy likes the little rivers and waterfalls around the complex. We'll live right across from the gym so nobody will have an excuse not to work out. So everyone WAS happy...but then...
Things got really ugly today. We were notified that our buyer may not qualify to buy our place because of some unaccounted for extra income on her bank statements. Because of this, the bank hasn't gotten the loan documents sent over to the housing commission for review and the housing commission hasn't prepared any paperwork. At the very least we will not be closing on the third like we thought and no one is willing to offer a new definite closing date. It's all very frustrating because the housing commission has to qualify a buyer before we ever even sign a purchase agreement. They told us our buyer qualified and we signed in May. Why is this an issue a week before closing? So while they figure out whether we still have a buyer, we are in limbo. Apparently 60 days is not enough time to figure out these particulars.
Keep in mind that we have now sold our nice refrigerator for less than half what we paid for it and we've sold various other items including my beloved elliptical machine. We received the word from the realtor, title company, and housing commission less than two weeks ago that everything was great and the closing would happen on the third.
Here I was worried that we would be homeless but it ends up that we have two homes for the month of July. We get to pay a mortgage and a rent. Yeah! Because that's just how you want to spend your money! Feel free to come to San Diego. We have plenty of space. One home has all our boxed stuff in it and and no refrigerator and the other has nothing but a refrigerator. Take your pick!

3 comments:

KellyDiane said...

Oh missy, that is not fun! what a headache!

Cami said...

Oh MAN. That's just really really really not fun.

Emily said...

Your title led me to believe that the "bad and the ugly" were also associated with the baby, and I read with caution. As annoying as the housing situation seems, I was glad that the little one was only associated with the "good" in the title. Yay for another boy! I hope the housing junk blows over soon.