Thursday, July 3, 2008

I Didn't Get the Pearls

Above is my mother's jewelry inventory with associated future heir in parenthesis, dated 8/28/86. I retrieved some of Mom's journals in Utah with the intent of typing them up and putting together her history. I found this on the last page of 1984. This inventory of jewels is so Mom. She loved precious gems, diamonds, pearls, etc. When I was ten years old she promised me the pearl necklace and earrings (bequeathed on the right column). The name, Missy, got cut off in the scan. She said I could have them and wear them on my wedding day if I married in the temple. I am in possession of the gold Love ring but I have no idea where the Hawaii M Pendant is and I haven't seen the pearls for years.

There is a strange dichotomy to having the jewelry list within the confines of Mom's journal. The jewels were so valuable to her she thought it essential to list them and bequeath them on the back page. I never had my mom's fondness for pretties and therefore I'm not traumatized by not knowing the locale of the necklace and earrings. The journals, worn and dog eared, are priceless.

Of all the miracles on this earth, I find the written words of my mother the most miraculous. There is nothing extraordinary about the unabridged, raw, unedited writings but they bring her back to me. No video footage or photo can make it seem as though I've spent time with her like reading about her days. After I get done reading, I strangely feel as though I've talked with her. It's a miracle.

Last night I got chills as I read an account she gave on a lesson she presented in Relief Society on journal writing. She quoted President Kimball as saying that our journals would become scriptures and the angels would quote from them. He said the angels would be our children and they would read, learn, and quote from their parents' journals. It is true for me and I have a tremendous testimony of leaving a journal behind. It is such a gift that my mother left her children.

I only hope that there will be more chapters for my mom to write. I hope she can write a journal in heaven when she is released from Alzheimer's. I hope the writings will convey that she's found the peace and happiness that often eluded her in life.

So Mom, I never got the pearls but I have your words. Thank you for taking the time so that you could keep being you for me.

5 comments:

Kimberly said...

I can't wait to read my parents journals. It will be interesting to see how my life was seen through their eyes.

Cami said...

What a sweet post. Just think how your kids will read your blog! Wow, what a lot of info we record now. I love the photocopy of the journal page. Thank you.

Amber said...

That is such a treasure for you right now. It does make me want to write a journal. I am terrible aobut it, but I just started a new kind of journal, so hopefully that will work out!

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest post, it makes me tear up just reading it. What a blessing for you to haver her journal.

Krustee said...

This made me bawl! And feel guilty for not keeping a journal. I want to do better. I better start blogging again so at least I'll have that! Your mom has left you priceless pearls.